Please sign in to post.

Lander- tickets

OK these seem like a great deal at 27 Euro for up to 5 peeps for a day. Dont see much chat about them, so whats the down side ? Sloth speed of the regional trains ?

How would one join two states ? Change at the "border" stations ?

Posted by
769 posts

the landler tickets I believe are weekend specials and designed to get the city folks and local-yokels out and about with the family to enjoy the weekend when they have less business/commuter travel. Not sure on the "county-border" stations - but maybe our buddy Andreas in Frankfurt knows that one!

Posted by
19092 posts

Well, the regional trains do take more time because they make more stops.

On workdays, the Bayern-Ticket is not valid until after 9 AM. That might be a "down side" to some, but not me. I like to take my time getting going in the morning (2nd cup of coffee and all that).

There is a way around that, you just buy P2P tickets to the first stop after 9 AM, and use the Bayern-Ticket after that.

If you're on a line with a border station, example Ulm on the Munich to Mannheim line, you just buy Länder tickets to and from that station. You don't always have to change, but often the regional train ends there too.

Posted by
95 posts

Bill,
Check out the train schedules on bahn.de as well in the areas you'll be traveling. I know in my research for our trip, often regional trains are the only option in some areas so using the Lander ticket actually doesn't take any longer.

Lee makes a great point about buying a ticket for your travel up until 9 and using the pass after that if you need to maximize your time. I know one of our day trips from Munich we'll board a train a little before 9 and pay an extra few dollars to get an earlier head start as the next regional train for us would not be until around 9:45 or so on that particular trip giving us an extra hour at our destination.