Please sign in to post.

La Spezia train station

Can anyone tell me where the La Spezia train station is or if there is more than one? We have to drop off our car somewhere near the waterfront and can't see how we would get to the train station from there. Or maybe there's a boat we could take to Manarola? We will be traveling mid-May.

Posted by
12172 posts

I'm not sure where you are dropping your car off. I parked near the naval base and walked to the train station. I didn't like the parking in the area of the station so looked around and asked a naval officer. I dropped my family off at the station while I found a spot and hiked back. I would either drop everyone off first and ask for a ride back to the station or drop everyone off and take a taxi back. Based on where I recall the station and the waterfront being, it's probably not normal walking distance.

Posted by
612 posts

Thanks, Kent. I had forgotten how good the via Michelin website is. I was using Google maps and couldn't find the train station but as soon as I went to the via Michelin site there it was, or rather there they were. It turns out that the Migliarina station is actually closer to where we were supposed to drop off our car but it was still 3 km. so I called Auto Europe and got them to change the drop-off location to the one closest to city center which is 1.5 km away. It took a bit of doing on their part since they had to change rental companies, but they came through like champs. So Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

Posted by
32212 posts

Kay,

the rail station you want is La Spezia Centrale (I believe it's the largest of the stations in La Spezia).

Manarola will be the second stop on the C.T. train route. Be sure to check the schedules posted in the station, as not every train stops at each village. The travel time to Riomaggiore (the first village) is only about eight minutes, and it's not much longer to Manarola. Don't get to comfortable on the train - be ready to disembark!

Happy travels!