Please sign in to post.

carte orange in Paris

The orange card is a great way to travel the Metro (subways) in Paris. I picked mine up at Gare du Nord on my arrival. The go from Monday to Sunday and the cost was 16 euro. I had to spend an additional couple of euro to get a picture in a kiosk. You are supposed to add these to the card to validate them. Bring an extra passport photo for this if you have one. I rode without the picture for a couple of days with no problems. Fortunately, I got one eventually, because on my last day in Paris, there was a group of transit police/inspectors doing a suprise spot check at one of the Metro stations.

Posted by
1170 posts

Good to know!

I wonder if the Carte Orange is going to be available everywhere?

Posted by
3580 posts

The photo part of the Carte Orange can be used again and again if you make repeat trips to Paris. I think this will work as long as you look somewhat like your picture. I was on a Metro train a couple of years ago when the transit police came along and asked to see the tickets or passes and picture cards. I didn't have the picture card and told them that I hadn't been given one when I bought my Carte Orange. The inspector gave me a new (blank) one and walked on. So, when you buy your Carte, ask for the other part if you don't already have one.

Posted by
213 posts

So there's two different cards and one is just for your photo? Now I'm confused-If you bring the photo from home, how is it attached (do I need to bring tape or something) as the old Carte Orange I gave them my photo and it was laminated into the card. My understanding here is that you now have to buy a Navigo card also (one time 5 euro, good forever) and things like Carte Orange are loaded onto it, so where exactly does the photo go/how, and how do you ask for a photo card (words)?

Posted by
3580 posts

The card for the picture has a flap for sticking down your picture. It has stickum on it, so you don't need anything extra to assemble your picture card. The picture should be small (maybe 1" x 1"). Bring a picture with you or have one taken in one of the photo booths found in most Metro stations. The ticket is what you slide into the slot when passing into Metro stations. You use the same ticket (pass) for the entire week, so don't throw it away until it expires.

Posted by
56 posts

Nancy, you are right, they are pushing the Navigo card, but the carte orange was still available last month. I think they intend to eventually phase it out.

Posted by
8700 posts

Nancy, I may be the person who told you in a post on another thread that the passe Navigo Decouverte card is good "forever." I was wrong. It's good for ten years. However, it is true that the old Carte Orange is being phased out. I learned from a resident of Paris that each month fewer stations carry it. Eventually none will.

Posted by
213 posts

I figured those rumors were gone since they came out with Navigo and C.O. was still an option. OK, what should I buy if I can't find C.O. next month (Carnets, Paris Pass, etc.)? I planned to go on arrival to the Invalides station near us for most needs incl. C.O./Navigo as well as St. Lazare to pick up last part of our Normandy tickets. How will I know if C.O. isn't available at that station, or isn't available at all (limited French). I guess I need a 'Plan B'. We've got six of us for 10 days (Mon-Wed); minus our daytrips on Fri. (Normandy), and the second Mon. (Disneyland) & Tues. (Versailles) it will really be 6 days with lots of touring in the city (farthest out we'll be going in the city is Puce St. Ouen flea market- still zone 2, right?). I hate to have to think I'll need to add up Metro rides to judge what we'll need. C.O. was so nice last trip that I partially planned our dates so we could use this. Glad I found this out now instead of standing in the station! Plan B?

Posted by
8700 posts

The Carte Orange is alive and well! It's only the old PAPER version that is being phased out. You can load a Carte Orange Hebdomadaire for the zones of your choice on a passe Navigo Decouverte card. For more information, go here: http://tinyurl.com/36h6zs. You'll certainly be able to buy the passe Navigo Decouverte, etc. at Invalides.

Posted by
213 posts

Whew! Thanks Tim, I misunderstood you. One less thing to worry about!