Please sign in to post.

Channel Islands

Has anyone been to the Channel Islands? If yes, how did you get there? Can you fly or do you take a ferry from England or France? I have a husband who gets sick very easily on boats so I'm not sure about a ferry. I'm just don't know what the best way is to get there. If a flight is possible, is it out of Paris? Thanks so much.

Posted by
5433 posts

You can fly into Jersey from Paris on Blue Islands but there is only one flight a day and not every day of the week.

There are many flights to Jersey and Guernsey from various UK airports, although some are summer only. You can fly between Jersey, Guernsey and Aldernay.

Posted by
16096 posts

Technically, they are a British Crown Dependency even though they are closer to France which is why there are more flights out of the UK.

The airlines to look at are:

Aurigny
Blue Islands
FlyBE

They are on my list for 2015.

Posted by
1446 posts

Thanks so much for this information. Even though I didn't specifically ask about ferries, I'm assuming there is a ferry that goes from France. Is that correct? If yes, do you know where it leaves from? Thanks again.

Posted by
7131 posts

There are several ferries from France to the Channel Islands depending on which Island you want to go to. I know there is one from Granville to Jersey but there are also ferries from France to Guernsey. If you google "ferries to channel islands from france" you'll see websites for several ferry companies and you can check their routes and schedules. But if your husband gets seasick easily, it would be best to fly. There are budget flights from several places in England including London. There are flights from Paris to Guernsey but they are a bit pricey.

Posted by
5433 posts

St Malo has the most frequent services with Condor Ferries - 2 a day to Jersey and Guernsey. Was a while ago that I lived in Weymouth, but I used the Condor route from there a number of times. Others are much less frequent - sometimes only one or 2 sailings a week.

Posted by
1446 posts

Thanks so much. This is very helpful. If I'm looking at the information accurately, it appears to be that the Condor ferry from St. Malo to Jersey is only 20 minutes. If that's correct, I think my husband could stand 20 minutes (maybe with a patch?). Anyway, we are evaluating our options here. At least I know what to look at now. This trip will be for 2015. Thanks!

Posted by
9110 posts

If you zoom in real tight on each island on google maps, the ferry tracks will show up.

Directferries.co.uk has pretty good ferry scoop for Europe and the UK.

That part of the Channel generally doesn't get weather as rough as other areas except for the big winter storms.

Posted by
5433 posts

You have overlooked the time zone difference - the duration is one hour 20 minutes.

Posted by
1446 posts

Oh, yes, thanks Marco. Didn't think about the time zone difference.