Please sign in to post.

Overnight Train Prague to Amsterdam

We purchased tickets for the overnight train from Prague to Amsterdam this week from Rail Europe (via Rick Steves site). After receiving the ticket/voucher I find it does not have the passenger names on the ticket. All other information on the ticket is correct. Should I be concerned or is this typical of tickets for rail travel in Europe.

Thx

Posted by
16895 posts

Names were never the norm on point-to-point rail tickets. Your paper ticket is valuable, transferable to another passenger, and cannot be replaced if lost or stolen, so treat it like cash. Some e-ticketing systems have lately added names and ID checks to reduce reproduction of e-tickets, but each country has their own system and there are few e-tickets for international trips.

Posted by
2 posts

Good to know. i appreciate the note.

We will be in Prague a week before taking the trip. do we need to check in early or just show up at the appointed time?

Mick

Posted by
20980 posts

What do you mean by "the appointed time". The train departs at 18:29, so if you show up then, you'll watch it pulling out of the station. Assuming you are boarding at Prague HL N. The train will be spotted on the platform about a half hour before departure. I'd be there then and board.

Posted by
4684 posts

Most trains in Europe, even international ones, don't have "check-in" like aircraft. You arrive at the station, find your platform, possibly have a brief ticket check to get onto the platform, and then board the train. The only exception is Eurostar trains between London and Paris or Brussels, which have airport-style security and border checks.

The train also won't be available for boarding much before the departure time. Ten or twenty minutes is usual for long-distance trains, but sleepers might be available earlier.