Please sign in to post.

Swiss Card

I'll be travelling to Switzerland from Germany and then from Switzerland to France. I understand that the swiss card gives you a round trip fare from your destination in Switzerland from your point of entry. Does this mean it would cover the ride from the German Border to Interlaken and then the ride from Interlaken to the French border?

Posted by
6898 posts

Yes, it is correct that a Swiss pass would cover all transportation on trains, buses and boats within the Swiss borders. When you buy your ticket in Germany, show them your pass and they will sell you a ticket to the common border. If you don't have the pass in hand, buy a ticket to Basel Bad Bhf (German side of station), walk over to the Basel SBB side of the station (Swiss side) and buy your pass.

Posted by
75 posts

Thanks for your response. So on my 2nd trip, do I have to prove that my first trip was from the border to Interlaken to then get from Interlaken to the border? Or is my last trip, where ever it may begin, that gets me to the border, count as my free trip?

Posted by
504 posts

Shauna-We just bought our Swiss Card this weekend at the ETBD store. When we got it, they told us we have to show it at the train station in Switzerland when we first arrive and they will validate it at that point. They were very clear that we were not to write anything on it or to sign it until directed at the station. My understanding is that there is limited availability to buy them once in Switzerland (Rick Steve's site says it's only available at a few Swiss airports and border stations). Larry would know better than I if Basel is one of the locations to purchase it. As a side note, when we bought it yesterday it was issued by RailEurope.

Larry-you said you could walk across the border from Basel to Basel Bad. How long a walk between train stations? Our plan is to go through Basel and buy a Dauer Spezial from Basel Bad to continue our journey to Rothenburg (We will be traveling from Lauterbrunnen). I was going to build an hour into our schedule to change trains. Thanks!

Posted by
6898 posts

Jed, I've never been there but it's my understanding from a great post by Andreas from Frankfurt, Germany that the Basel Badischer Bahnhof is a large complex with the German tracks on Swiss soil. The actual German/Swiss customs check point is in a passenger tunnel between the tracks and the main hall. There is additional passport control on the Swiss side by conductors on the train to the Basel SBB station. I believe that the Basel Badischer Bahnhof is also the termination point for TGV SNCF trains from France. I believe that it's a 3-in-1 complex. Andreas, where are you?

Posted by
769 posts

I just used the Swiss Card this past summer for my Alps hiking trip. It also gives you 50% off many of the local transport during the days between your 1st and last day of "free" travel. Just ask for the discount at the gondolas etc when you buy your Interlaken Tickets.

Posted by
769 posts

I should also comment - you need to go validate it at the trainstaion when you arrive at the boarder before getting on the train. The ticket window can also print out the stop by stop iteneraty too for you (with gate #s and times).

Posted by
504 posts

Hey Larry! Thanks for the tip on Andreas' post! Below is the link to that thread. Very good read. We'll use our Swiss Card from Lauterbrunnen to there and just buy a ticket from Basel Bad to Rothenburg (we're going to get a Dauer Spezial when they come online in a few weeks-90 days out).

I'm going to probably space out an hour between our arrival in Basel Bad and departure. That should give us plenty of time to get to the right part of the station and stretch our legs a bit.

Link to Basel Bad: http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=11257