Please sign in to post.

Train from Avignon to Barcelona???

Can anyone help me with this.I was told my a traveler that there is a train that leaves Avignon at 10:39 and arrives in Barcelona at 18:46, but not sure how to book this?

Posted by
8700 posts

This journey requires changing trains in Port Bou, just across the border in Spain. These are regional trains so there is no price break for booking in advance. Buy your ticket (45€) at the Avignon Centre station. Leave Avignon Centre at 10:39 and arrive at Port Bou at 14:28. Leave Port Bou at 16:12 and arrive at Barcelona Sants at 18:46.

Posted by
99 posts

Thank you, thank you! These is no chance that this would be full?? I have hotel reservations in Barcelona and am fearful of my inexperience traveling...this is an easy do?

Posted by
131 posts

We arrived in Port Bou last summer, on a day trip via local French train from Collioure to Figueres to see the Dali museum. I was apprehensive, too, because while my French is pretty good I have almost no Spanish! The station is not that large. We got off and everyone shuffled along to where the passports were looked at- very easy- the agents I spoke to once inside spoke English, so hopefully this will reassure you. From Tim's helpful post it looks like you will have plenty of time to find where your next departure platform is.

Also, make sure you know whether you are using the TGV or the cental station in Avignon- they are not the same.

Posted by
8700 posts

Reservations are not possible on regional trains. In the unlikely chance that a train is full, you are allowed to stand.

Posted by
99 posts

Many thanks to all. I am gaining confidence with each post/reply!

Posted by
7 posts

Is the entire trip is 45 euro or is there another ticket to buy at port bou...and how much might that be...?

Thanks...the help is really appreciated.

Posted by
8700 posts

Allen,

After checking the timetables at www.vyages-sncf.com and www.bahn.de, it looks like things have changed a bit since last year. The fastest route is a regional train from Avignon Centre to Montpellier and a Talgo train from there to Barcelona Sants. The fare is €71.

However, according to the timetables, choices vary depending upon what month you choose, For example, they're different in September. In that month you can travel all the way on regional trains for €47.60, but more than one connection is required.

To see for yourself, go to www.bahn.de. After you get summary timetables, click on the arrow to the left of each departure time to see the connecting points.