Please sign in to post.

Night Train Safety

Hello, I don’t know if this has been asked before so here goes. I purchased train tickets through Thello train website for a night train from Paris to Milan. I’ve read some contradicting things about night trains. Some blogs and books like Rick Steve’s say that night trains are very good for saving time, money and that they are very safe, and that the sleep compartments are guarded by a train employee. Some other blogs that I’ve read say that sometimes thieves find ways to enter these sleeping areas and steal your stuff. I realize that I already purchased my tickets but I just wanted to know how safe these trains really are when it comes to the sleeping compartments. Thank you.

Posted by
16894 posts

I would not worry about safety as long as you take standard precautions, such as to lock the door of the compartment when everybody's in; wear your valuables in a moneybelt under your clothes and preferably under the side you're sleeping on; and clip or lock your bag to any available pole that may be in the compartment. I have also slept with my camera bag hooked over my arm and under my small pillow, which was of course a pretty lumpy. See also http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/theft-scams.