Please sign in to post.

Train Tickets

In purchasing train tickets, should I have them sent to my home ( we aren't leaving for a month in a half. . .does this cost money ) or use the self service machines at the station to pick them up?

Posted by
23273 posts

What tickets -- when and where ? Having them mailed to your home will add cost and if using a travel agent in Europe more expense/

Posted by
26 posts

I'm purchasing several one way train tickets ( munich - salzburg, Salzburg to venice, venice - Genoa, La spezia to Florence, Florence night back to Munich ). What i'm asking is if it is easy to pick them up at the self service machine at the station.

When buying my tickets online. . .the choices are:

Sent to your home or self pick up.

Posted by
19092 posts

It's my impression that picking up tickets from self-service machines in Italy is easy, but I've never done it.

As for Munich to Salzburg, unless a half hour less train ride is that important to you, wait until you are over there, then buy a Bayern-Ticket (Single €19, up to five people €27) and take regional trains.

Posted by
23273 posts

Lee is correct. I think we Americans are brain washed by our airlines that require advance, long term reservations. European train travel (exception being overnight trains) is almost the reverse. Plenty of capacity is available at the last minute. There are some savings sometimes with advance purchase however that is probably offset by delivery charges and agency fees. In 300+ days of travel we have never bought train tickets more than a couple in advance and we are normally traveling in June and early July.