Please sign in to post.

Trenitalia: Milan to Trieste

Checking in again, as I've read differing opinions on purchasing Trenitalia tickets in advance or at the station on the day of departure. The policy about carrying bicycles also remains unclear. I also want to avoid any unpleasant surprises, since I don't plan to do any cycling in Italy (I'm heading to Slovenia and beyond).

In September (with a return trip in October), I will be taking my assembled (road-ready) bicycle (not in a box) from Milan to Trieste, with a change of trains in Venice. I'm leaving my bike box behind at my B&B in Milan. I've narrowed down the only options that carry bikes at all: the 12:05 pm Eurocity to Venice and the 2:53 pm Regionale to Trieste.

Questions:

1. How far in advance can seat reservations be made on-line?
  2. Are they necessary or simply optional?
  3. Or, should I buy my tickets (for the entire one-way trip) at the station just prior to departure?
  4. Do these two lines definitely accept bikes that are not in a box?
  5. Are these trains "roll-on/roll-off" self-service for bikes or will a baggage handler insist on loading and unloading the bike? I've done the former many times myself all over Europe, but not in Italy.

Thanks to all fellow travelers who can share their well-earned knowledge and experience!

Posted by
20980 posts

Here is a start:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/car-bike/on-the-move-by-bike/taking-bikes-to-destinations-in-europe.html

Since the EC train originates in Geneva, this would seem to apply. Ironically, this states that self loading bikes are not allowed within Switzerland on trains using the Simplon Tunnel, but they are allowed from Domodossola to Venice.

Edit. From Trenitalia, you will need to use google translate.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=bdf4058f7ba47310VgnVCM1000008916f90aRCRD

It says 12 euro Milan to Venice (pay the conductor) and specifically mentions the EC 37, 3.50 euro Venice Trieste. The Trieste train does carry the bicycle icon when you click on the information icon.