Please sign in to post.

Italo Trains?

I'm looking at booking trains between Mestre and Florence, and from Florence to Naples.

The fares and schedules look pretty good on the Italo website.

However, I've never heard of them before... do they have a good reputation? On time?

I've only ever traveled with Trenitalia within Italy in the past. Is the ticket validation procedure the same?

Is anyone here familiar with this company? Thanks for any info that you can share about Italo!

Posted by
1630 posts

Italo is a new private company competing with Trenitalia. They have a very good reputation, probably better than Trenitalia. The only problem is that in some cities they use a different train station (e.g., Rome).

As all of their trains are high speed and you need reservations for a particular train there is no ticket validation (i.e., your ticket is only good for that train, at that time and on that day).

Posted by
33557 posts

Given a choice I take Italo every time. Their leather seats are uniformly comfortable, they provide free wifi on board and in the lounges, and are a joy to ride. They are on the same rails as Trenitalia and if there are delays on the line they are not exempt.