Please sign in to post.

Naples to Pompeii

Rick Steves says:

"Pompeii is about 35 minutes from Naples on the Circumvesuviana train that goes to Sorrento (€3.20 one-way, not covered by railpasses, at least hourly)."

But, on my Eurail timetable, I see the times for Naples to Pompeii, so does this mean that this ride is covered by my railpass?

Posted by
4555 posts

No, it is not. The TOWN of Pompei is on the Trenitalia line (Italian national railways, so covered by a pass) but it is some distance away from the site you want to visit. The Circumvesuviana from Naples to "Pompeii Scavi" (about three steps from the entrance) is a privately-owned rail line, so it's not covered by the pass. The Circumvesuviana is like an urban commuter rail service...much like Paris's RER...the seats are plastic and not terribly comfortable, but OK for the journey to Pompeii Scavi.

Posted by
277 posts

If you take the national rail line you will need to take a cab to the Ruins. Don't pay more than 10 dollars. It's a 5-10 minute ride. The cabs are waiting at the train station. The cab drivers will bargain.

Posted by
486 posts

The Circumvesuviana is only a euro or two. Not a big deal. Think of it as a subway ride.

Posted by
192 posts

Be very alert in the Naples train station...the pickpockets are so numerous that there are announcements, in 3-4 languages, nearly every 5 minutes about being careful. Also, it's filthy (or at least it was when we were there 2 years ago). The ladies' room was a horror...