Please sign in to post.

Croatia Transportation

Hi All,

My wife and I will be visiting Croatia during mid May 2014 for a week or so after spending 2 weeks in Italy. I have a couple of questions regarding my Croatia portion. We plan to take the overnight ferry from Bari to Dubrovnik and eventually work our way up the coast and then fly home from Zagreb.

1. Approximately when will Jadrolinjia post their 2014 schedules?
  2. Is May too early for daily crossings to Dubrovnik from Bari?
  3. After spending 3 days in Dubrovnik we plan on going up the coast to possibly spend a day in Split then onto Zagreb. Any thoughts on the best way to do that portion? Is bus travel a good thing to do or is there a better way?
Posted by
1167 posts

A much more scenic - although it takes longer - way to get from Dubrovnik to Split is to take the ferry.

Posted by
3112 posts

May isn't high season, so Jadrolinija could post May schedules any time after the first of the year (late January would be my guess). Their customer service center is very helpful and has people fluent in english. I'd suggest contacting them via e-mail (there's a link on the Jadrolinija website) and asking when May schedules are expected to be posted.

My recollection is that Jadrolinija didn't do daily crossings last year, even in high season. In May, there will likely be 3 crossings per week.

Best option from Dubrovnik to Split is bus. There are several per day. Ask your hotel or sobe to call the bus station and reserve tickets. You can then pick them up and pay for them when you arrive at the bus station. Be sure to have them ask how long before the departure time you must pick up your tickets.

I don't believe Jadrolinija ran the Dubrovnik to Split ferry service in 2013. To go by boat, you may need to first get to Korcula town and then take a Krilo hyrdofoil from Korcula town to Split.

From Split to Zagreb, train or bus are your best options. I'd investigate both options and pick the best one for your itinerary. Zagreb is great, so budget at least 1 day to see its sights. There are some very good pizzerias (yes, Croatia has great pizza) on a street behind Jelacic Square (think its called Skalinska).

Posted by
7939 posts

If you have time from Dubrovnik to Split, you can stop in Korcula, Ston, between Dubrovnik and Korcula is also popular. Another option is to overnight in Mostar (Bosnia), all are best done by bus.

If you interested in going to Hvar, that is easiest done by ferry from Split.