Please sign in to post.

Buses in Rome

Is it possible to take luggage on board the city buses in Rome? We arrive Rome FCO then take the train to Termini, and want to use the city bus system to get to our hotel, rather than a taxi. Last time we were there I thought I saw a sign that said no luggage allowed on the bus, but not entirely sure.

Posted by
3580 posts

I wouldn't count on being able to take any but the smallest bag onto the bus in Rome. Often the buses are packed tight with people and there isn't room to breathe, let alone carry luggage. Taxis aren't very expensive if they use their meter.

Posted by
223 posts

I didn't have problems taking luggage on a city bus from a rules standpoint. As long as you get to your bus at Termini before everyone loads up, you should be able to manage. However, once everyone gets on, you won't be able to move one inch. Keep track of all your bags very carefully. Be sure to buy your ticket inside and stamp it in the yellow machine. (Fines are 50 euros and they don't care that you're a tourist.)

Going back the other direction may be impossible because the buses are too packed to board.

If you do take a taxi, memorize the phrase in the RS Italian phrase book to tell them to turn on the meter. I took a cab three times in Rome in the month I was there and 2/3 times, they didn't use the meter. The first one was from Termini to my hotel, which would normally be an 11 euro ride. The driver wanted me to pay him 35 euros. I gave him 15 euros and told him to call the police if he didn't want to take it. He left.

Not sure what's worse in Rome between the two.

Posted by
153 posts

I grew up in New York, went to college in Boston, and lived for a time in Chicago. I know public transportation.

The public transportation in Rome (bus and subway) are the most crowded I've ever experienced. We had a Roma pass, which allowed us to use the bus all we wanted, and we rode the bus many times. Nobody ever asked to see the pass. We were crammed in like sardines every time and the driver couldn't have checked it if he wanted to.

I would definitely not use the bus with luggage. Noooo wayyyy!