Please sign in to post.

Circumvesuviana train

Hi I am wondering the cost of this train and how long does it usually take to get from Sorrento to Naples? Is it reserved seating or do you pick a seat when you get on the train. I am staying in Sorrento and then onto Rome and I think this is the most direct route to take... please let me know. Thank you!

Posted by
390 posts

I think it was about €3 for the Naples-Sorrento route. It was around an hour, or a little over. No reserved seating - you just find one when you get on. Hopefully there will be one! It's not nearly as nice as most trains in Europe - it's more like a subway train, or a suburban line you'd fine in NYC, etc.

This is the easiest and cheapest way between the two cities. It arrives at the main train station in Naples, so you just have to go upstairs to catch a train to Rome. Make sure you keep an eye on your belongings at all times.

Posted by
30 posts

A little tip we learned......always try to get a seat in the front car with the conductor (for safety), and ALWAYS ask to confirm you are on the right train. It can be confusing. In October 2007 we got on the wrong train in Naples, and ended up in Sarno, not Sorrento. Luckily, the conductors were very helpful giving us directions to wait for the next train, etc., and we ultimately got to Sorrento. Just took the scenic route!