Please sign in to post.

germany travel

I am planing to go to the foloowing cities during octoberfest in munich germany 2014:
Zalburg, Garnish, Edlweiss, Fussen, Zugpitz, Freising, Weihenstaphen and Lanshut. what is the best way to travel to all these places either by bus or train?

Posted by
12040 posts

Because they're all in southern Bavaria (although I don't know where "Zalburg" is, did you mean "Salzburg", which is not in Bavaria?), probably a Bayern Ticket, which gives you a discount on transportation throughout the state of Bavaria, with some restrictions. Lee from Colorado will surely chime in with more details, but I'm afraid he will likely crucify you, Jesus, for your spelling of German names.

If you're staying in the Edelweiss resort, I assume that you have a military ID. I'm pretty sure they offer regular bus tours to the castles at Füssen. Without a car, this is probably the easiest way to incorporate Füssen into your trip. Edelweiss may also run excurisions to Salzburg, if that is what you meant by "Zalburg".

Posted by
2779 posts

Hi "Hesus", you'll probably end up spending all the time in Freising as this is the only place you spelled correctly. How is the rail website supposed to guess what you're trying to say? Please do some research and find the correct names.

But yes, the best way to travel around Bavaria is the train. Once you know the correct spellings of the places visit www.bahn.de, select your preferred language and do some research. You will not be able to get the September 2014 schedule yet, so play with e.g. November 2013 data. It's not going to be all that different.

Also once you know the correct spelling locate all those places on maps.google.com just to get a feeling how far they are apart. The route planner in Google maps knows some very basic rail data as well, but even driving distances can be a good hint.

Posted by
19240 posts

Edelweiss is a military resort in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. If you are staying at Edelweiss, Garmisch is outside your door. The cog train up the Zugspitze leaves from the Garmisch-Partenkirchen station. These three venues are accessible by walking or local bus.

I would base in Garmisch-Partenkirchen for the town, Zugspitze, and Füssen, then move to Freising for Weihenstephan, Landshut, Salzburg, and Oktoberfest.

If you are not taking the castle tour from Edelweiss, there are regular buses (RVO 9606) from in front of the Garmisch-Partenkirchen station to Füssen (or Fuessen). The bus stops at Hohenschwangau, near the castles just before it gets to Füssen. A 9,50€ Tagesticket gives you unlimited riding on RVO buses for an entire day.

Weihenstephan, of course, is in Freising, a short, albeit steep, walk from town.

Rail lines connect Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Salzburg, Munich, Freising, and Landshut, and a Bayern-Ticket is probably the best for most of your travel, such as Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Freising and from Freising to Landshut and Salzburg.

If you use the Bayern-Ticket for a day trip from Freising to Salzburg, it will cover you on the S-Bahn into Munich Hbf as well as the train from the Hbf to Salzburg.. A Bayern-Ticket, 22€ for one person, gives you unlimited travel on regional trains in Bavaria (including to Salzburg Hbf, which is considered a "Bavarian" station), all day Sat/Sun, after 9 AM workdays.

Freising is a stop on the rail line between Munich Hbf and Landshut. Freising is in the MVV (Munich metro district). When going just from Freising to Munich Hbf, an MVV Single Gesamtnetz Tageskarte (entire network day ticket, 11,70€ after Dec 15) will cover your RT from Freising to downtown and any other travel in the district.