Please sign in to post.

Lake Como

I will be flying in to Milan-Malpensa and plan to spend 3-4 days in Lake Como area (Bellagio, Como, etc).

What are the pros/cons of renting car vs. train to Como (price, utility of car vs. walking towns around Lake Como)... and how would I travel the area around Lake Como without car? Are there buses/trains that service this area? Would total price with all of these extra bus/train trips be more than renting car for 4 days (around 250-300 bucks using comparecarrentals.com, anyone heard of these guys? are they reputable?)

I am a student on tight budget, but want to get the most of my Lake Como experience. I will shell out 300 bucks to rent a car if it will make a huge difference in quality of experience.

Posted by
3551 posts

I would use train to Varenna from Milan centrale train station and ferry around to locations you wish to visit. Ck ferry routes to make sure you see your sights.Mine are Varenna, Bellagio, Menaggio) then fill in with Ricks guide for( Lugano) bus/train nr Switzerland etc then back to Italy Lago Maggiore (Stresa).Cars are not needed for this area, in general.

Posted by
85 posts

I would not bother with a car. The drives are longer than they should be -- and the scenery is best from the water. We did a combination of ferry and hydrofoil, and it was perfect. The small towns along the lake are perfect for walking.