Please sign in to post.

Train from Venice to Florence

We'll be in Italy mid September and plan to take the train from Venice to Florence. I've looked at some of the schedules and found that its not quite as easy sorting through things as it would seem. Does anyone who may have taken this journey have an estimate of the cost and any other suggestions or thoughts? We don't want to take a night train. Most likely mid-morning.

Posted by
498 posts

There are a number of trains that leave each day (almost hourly) and the trip takes anywhere from 2:45-3 hours approximately. The Eurostar provides direct service. Fees (as of today) are 44 euros for 1st class and 30 euros for second class. Go to the Trenitalia site at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
for full information. It's pretty straightforward.

Posted by
40 posts

Thanks for the advice. You're right, very easy. Only problem I've run into is that when I try to buy the ticket the icon under the "Buy" column says "No". When I move the cursor over the "No" it says "Non-aquistabile". I'm seeking to obtain tickets for September. I wonder if I'm too early?

Posted by
473 posts

Jon - A couple of thoughts. First, make sure that "National" is highlighted, above the box where you enter your Leaving From and Going To cities. Second, most European train systems offer tickets only 60 or 90 days in advance (I can never remember which). Third, the Trenitalia website is notorious for having glitches when you try to buy a ticket on the site. Don't despair if you're not able to buy your tickets online. There have been quite a few positive comments on the Graffiti Wall about the self-service ticket machines in Italian train stations. You can always use one of them to buy your tickets when you get into Venice.

Posted by
8700 posts

For routes within Italy, Trenitalia allows online booking up to 60 days in advance. Also, new timetables throughout Europe will go into effect after 10 June and they are still being loaded on the Trenitalia site. Enter a date in May to see what all your Venice-Florence choices are. The new times won't change much, if at all.