Please sign in to post.

rome to orvieto

my son is attending a music symposium in Orvieto. I want to travel from Rome to Orvieto. Need to know train info and cost...possibly schedules

Posted by
7569 posts

I just did that route, buying just before boarding was $7.50 Euro or so each way.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks so much for the info. Any restaurant or other suggestions for the Orvieto area?

Posted by
7569 posts

Orvieto is a bit touristy, but still a joy just to wander and take in the views of the countryside. I can recommend a restaurant, we enjoyed the Trattoria Etrusca (Via L. Maitani 10) If you are standing in front of the Duomo facing away, it is about half a block up the street ahead of you. It was a very elegant, but not overly expensive (well, with the Euro...) restaurant serving great local food without a sense of tourist trap.

Posted by
1883 posts

The train runs quite frequently as it's on the way to Chuisi and up to Florence. You should be able to board a train almost every hour.

When you arrive in Orvieto, you'll need to walk across the street from the train station and purchase a 1E ticket for the funicular to get to the hilltop town. The funicular runs every 15 min or so.

My daughter and I visited Orvieto in November. Great day trip from Rome. I was dying to get back to purchase some ceramics - they have great pieces there made by local artists (and some mass produced) Not sure if you are into ceramics, but it's a great place to take home a reminder of your trip. I guess we'll have to watch our $$ with the Euro at $1.55 today, and on it's way up!

Posted by
216 posts

you are also close to Civita de Bagnoregio (sp?). It is a beautiful hill town which has been detailed in many editions of RS's Italy books.