Please sign in to post.

Trains

I would like to book a train from Paris to Basel and I am confused by all the different lines. Also would like to book a hotel in Paris that would be convenient to the train station if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks! Gene

Posted by
6898 posts

It's not too confusing. There are six train stations in Paris but the Paris-Basel run originates only from the Gare de l'Est station (Paris-Est). It's a 4.0hr-6.0hr journey depending on the run. The main difference is the layover when you change trains (and you will change once).

The shortest run leaves at 11:24am and arrives at 15:19. Oddly, if you take the 9:09am train, you will arrive at the same time. Both runs require a train change. On the 9:09am run, you wait 2hrs. For the 11:24am train, its about 20 minutes. The second train for both runs is the same train.

Posted by
8700 posts

Direct TGVs from Gare de l'Est to Basel depart at 06:24, 08:24, 12:24, and 17:54. The trip take 3hr30min. Routes with connections take a bit longer. For complete timetables go to www.bahn.de. After you get summary timetables, click on "Details for all" to see the connecting points, if any.

There are dozens of hotels in all price ranges in the area surrounding Gare de l'Est and Gare du Nord. Sorry, I've never stayed in any of them. eurocheapo.com lists only one--a three-star hotel near Gare du Nord.

Posted by
3250 posts

We traveled from Colmar to Basel in December. We were confused by the French spelling of "Basel"--it's "Bale." We felt silly when we realized that Basel and Bale are the same destination.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the replys. We need to be on a river boat by 3pm so I will check the website given...Merci!

Posted by
1806 posts

I stayed at the Ibis Chateau Landon Hotel in Paris which is very convenient (5 mins. walking distance) to BOTH Gare de L'Est and Gare du Nord.

Hotel room and bathroom clean, roomy, quiet - all rooms have air conditioning and there is an elevator. It's a modern budget hotel (think Hampton Inn/Best Western style). Low on Parisian charm - but a good place to sleep if that's all you are looking for. They do have a restaurant and offer breakfast for additional money, but don't bother - there are a million cafes and patisseries nearby that serve far better food for much less money.

Ask for a room on the 7th floor (top floor), I had a nice view of the Basilica of Sacre Couer from my room.

The area IMMEDIATELY around the train stations can seem a little seedy at night, but I stayed by myself for an extended amount of time in this neighborhood and had no problems (even late at night). Ibis neighborhood full of apartments and cafes overrun with middle class working Parisians.

Posted by
3 posts

I will also be traveling form Paris to Basel soon and have a different question about train travel. HOw does it work with visas and your passport when you travel in a train from country to country? DO you have to purchase the visas before hand? I'm also traveling from Basel to Germany's Black forest by car, then from Switzerland to Italy. I'm trying to find out if and where I get visas???

Posted by
4555 posts

Shelley...if you're a American citizen and you plan to stay less than three months, you don't need a visa.