Please sign in to post.

Liechtenstein

Hi Rick - used your audio guide for Pompeii and loved it! Now we are planning a trip to Longyearbyen, Norway ....with several other stops.
When we arrive in Zurich, we'd like to visit Innsbruck, Austria with a side-trip to briefly pass through Liechtenstein. I can't find a train route that will go through that little country. Do you have any ideas? Even a border town would be fine. Any ideas appreciated!

Posted by
12040 posts

Rick Steves doesn't personally answer any of these inquiries. Replies come from the lay traveling public at large. Are you considering driving or traveling by train? By car, it's fairly easy... and an extremely scenic drive, at that. Head east on A3 towards Sargans, then turn north on A13. You cross the baby Rhine, and you're in Liechtenstein. Follow the signs to Feldkirch and head east on A14 to Innsbruck. I think you will probably agree that there isn't anything that particularly distinguishes Liechtenstein from the surrounding areas of Austria and Switzerland, but since it lies along your direct line of travel, why not visit? Now for rail... you may need to specifically book a ticket that goes to Liechtenstein. I'm not positive, but I believe the normal Zürich-Innsbruck train route probably does not transit through the country. The rail line that serves Liechtenstein runs from Buchs in Switzerland to Feldkirch in Austria.

Posted by
20016 posts

Rick's not here right now. When traveling from Zurich to Innsbruck, take the 8:40 RailJet to Buchs SG. Take a taxi 1 km over the Rhine River. Stop the taxi. You are now in Liechtenstein. Take a picture. Tell the taxi to take you back to Buchs SG. Take the 11:54 RailJet to Innsbruck.

Posted by
32700 posts

The two prior answers are both accurate. If you want to collect a country, go for it. In my opinion the bit of Austria you will be going through is fabulous, the bit of Switzerland very nice, the wee country of Liechtenstein is nothing special at all. But go get your check in the box...

Posted by
11 posts

I love all of your answers and will certainly plan to either get a rental and follow directions along the scenic view....or do the train/taxi version. It will definitely be a unique experience either way! Thanks and Happy Travels!
Mara

Posted by
20016 posts

If you choose the "taxi route", I see that there is a left luggage locker at Buchs station and a walkway on the Rhine bridge. Since you would have 2 hours from the time you got off one train, and the next departs, you could just hike over to Liechtenstein. About a 15 minute walk over and 15 back.

Posted by
32700 posts

Well since you will be taking the side trip, you might be hungry. I remember a McDonalds on the main lane through Vaduz which has a decent car park. They even serve beer, although don't drink and drive.