Please sign in to post.

Travel to italy

Hi I am flying into Milan from Singapore with my husband. And we are flying back to Singapore from Milan. We shall have 8 days journey. I need advice on my trip. The flight itinerary cannot be changed as we have bought the tickets. We like to go Florence, Venice and Rome. But if thought of going 1 big round which is not practical then we shall forget of going Rome. How should I go about this trip and the transport that I should take. Await for your advise.thank you!

Posted by
15204 posts

Questions: 8 days are inclusive of travel time? It's best if you tell us how many nights you will be on the ground in Italy (in other words exactly how many hotel nights you will be spending on the ground IN Italy). The other question I have is at what time you are scheduled to land at Milan Malpensa airport and at what time is your departure time when you fly back to Singapore. I'll wait for those answer before giving more specific advice, but based on the fact that you fly in the north (Milan) and the very short amount of time you have, you may be better off if you ditch Rome from your plans. Rome is the farthest point from your arrival/departure airport. As a rule of thumb the absolute minimum nights you need to just superficially see those cities is: Venice: 2 nights Florence: 2 nights (3 better, 4 if you intend to do a day trip in Tuscany)
Rome: 3 nights In addition to that you might have to spend 1 or 2 nights in Milan (after arrival and before departure), depending on your flight schedule. Your ground transportation for this trip will be high speed trains for intercity travel, regional train or bus for transfer from/to airport to Milan Central station. Within Florence, Rome and Milan it will be primarily walking, buses, taxis or subways (basically standard city transportation). For within Venice your transportation will be primarily boats and walking, also possibly swimming if you fall in the Grand Canal :).

Posted by
7049 posts

Stick to 2 cities; you don't have enough time to see 3 in 8 days. Even better to see 1 city more thoroughly (but that's just my way of travel if I have too little time)

Posted by
20175 posts

There is nothing wrong with hitting all three. You can certainly knock Rome off the bucket list from Florence in a single day. Lots of people do it. But again, "Rome wasn't build in a day" and it really can't be seen in a day either. But if you have a specific thing you want to see, Roman Fora and Colosseum, or the Vatican, its your vacation. You've really struck gold in hearing from Roberto. Post some more details like your landing and take-off times and dates and he'll give excellent advice.

Posted by
15204 posts

I checked the flight info. Assuming that you fly non stop with Singapore airlines, you should be arriving at Milan Malpensa (MXP) around 8:30am. Your departure flight is late morning, almost Noon. That means that you don't need to spend the night in Milan when you arrive. You can go straight to Venice on the day of arrival. Your last night however will probably need to be spent in Milan, because Malpensa is far from the city and you should be at the airport before 9:30 am. The ideal of course, would have been to fly back to Singapore from Rome, instead of Milan (open jaw ticket). That way you would have saved the 3+ hr travel (and money) to take the high speed train back from Rome to Milan. Check with the airline if you can make that change. If it's less than US$200 it will be cheaper than all the expenses you will incur for going back to Malpensa from Rome. So assuming 8 nights on the ground you could do: Arrive in Milan in the morning, take the train to Venice the same day of arrival. 2 nights in Venice after 2nd night in Venice, the next day take train to Florence (2hrs) 2 nights in Florence after 2nd night in Florence the next day take train to Rome (1.5 hrs) 3 nights in Rome after 3rd night in Rome the next day take train back to Milan (3-3.5 hrs)
1 night in Milan before the flight If you can change your flight at a reasonable cost and fly back to SIN from Rome instead of Milan, then you can stay an extra night in Rome (or add that night to either Venice or Florence).

Posted by
129 posts

My flight details: Sin 31/10 1:35pm depart Arrival Milan 31/10 7:50am (MXP) Returns Milan (MXP) 7/11 11am
Arrival Sin 5:55am 8/11 I need advise to travel from one city to another. Thanks

Posted by
11613 posts

You can check the trenitalia.com website for times and prices. You will probably take fast trains (Freccia) between these major cities. There are dozens of trains per day between these cities, and Roberto has given you journey times. You can purchase tickets in advance on the trenitalia website, or wait until you arrive and purchase them from the staffed ticket window or from a kiosk. Allow time waiting in line if you purchase fro
the staffed ticket window; I find it more convenient to buy my ticket from Venice to Florence when I arrive in Benice, cor example, rather than waiting until the day that I leave.

Posted by
20175 posts

When using the www.trenitalia.com web site, use the proper station names as all the cities have several stations. Milan=Milano Centrale, Venice=Venezia S. Lucia, Florence=Firenze S. M. Novella, Rome=Roma Termini. After you arrive at Milan Airport, you can take the Malpensa Express train to Milano Centrale. Cost is 10 euro pp and there are 2 departures every hour. Important you validate tickets and board the train to Centrale as there are also trains going to a different Milan station (called Cadorna). At Centrale you can purchase tickets to Venice. Because you may have flight delays and discount tickets are non refundable, just buy tickets for the next departure. Price is currently 75 euro for 2 2nd class full fare. You can get your other train tickets in advance on the website for some discounts. Venice to Florence 45 euro for 2, Florence to Rome 58 euro for 2, and Rome to Milan for 86 for 2. On the morning of your flight home, you can just take the Malpensa Express train back to the airport from Milano Centrale. Trip takes about 50 minutes.
All of the trains have departures at a minimum once per hour and often 2 or even 3 departures each hour. Good Luck and enjoy Italy.