Please sign in to post.

London

We are taking a cruise to Greece and on the way back, we have a layover in London. (We are using frequent flyer miles and that is why we don't ahve a direct flight)This will require a hotel stay. Any recommendation re: a hotel close to the airport. Thank you. Tori J.

Posted by
2 posts

We are going to Heathrow Airport. We get in at 8:10 am and then we fly out of Heathrow at 11 am the next morning. ( I know...poor planning but we are using frequent flyer miles). Question 2. Do we have enough time to go into London and at least see the City at night?

Posted by
32519 posts

Yes, Tori, you can stay in London for the night and and enjoy a good part of a day there, jetlag allowing. If you stay somewhere near Paddington and if a little extra money to spend on the Heathrow Express doesn't faze you it could be a nice little layover. If you are wheels down at 8:10, you should be through the frosted glass doors by about 9:30 and in Paddington around 10. Drop your bags at the hotel, and the rest of the day is yours as long as you don't fall asleep. If your flight the next day is the one to Greece that will be like a domestic flight (plus passport control because England "secures" its borders) so 2 hours ahead should do it. 15 minutes on Heathrow Express so you could finish breakfast around 8, and toddle onto the Heathrow Express with a few minutes spare. Better to get there a few minutes ahead than be worried after breakfast. Could be a nice time. Better to spend extra staying near or at Paddington and using the HE than taking an hour on the Tube.

Posted by
16028 posts

If you wish to take Nigel's suggestion, you will want to purchase the Heathrwo Express Duo Saver ticket online before you go. This is a Rt ticket for two people at significant savings over regular prices. There are lots of hotels close to Paddington. Mae are staying at the Indigo, which offers reduced rates for AAA, seniors, government employees ( including state government so many college employees count).

Posted by
1265 posts

Tori, Are you checking luggage thru or carrying on? If you are checking luggage thru, remember to pack a change of clothes in your personal carry on. My wife made this mistake once.

Posted by
180 posts

If I am reading her question correctly - this layover is AFTER their Greek trip so hopefully jet lag will not be an issue. I do agree with Nigel (like I usually do) that using the Heathrow Express and staying in the Paddington area would maximize your time and experience in London.

Posted by
317 posts

Tori - I agree with Nigel. Come on into town. There are multiple decent hotels right at or within a 5-7 minute walk of the station. As others have said, get your HE tickets online ahead of time and save yourself some beans.

Posted by
1174 posts

We are also being overnighted at Heathrow using FF miles from Rome to Dallas but we don't arrive until 1500 and it will be dark by 1800. We have been to London multiple times so we have booked an inexpensive Travelodge near Heathrow. We have also stayed at Jury's Inn near Heathrow. We might go into Windsor for dinner. In your case, check out the Paddington Hilton and take the Heathrow Express into Paddington Station. You've saved so much money on FF miles you can afford the Hilton, although there are many hotels near Paddington. Make the most of the layover and use the tube (it's easy) to get around town.