Please sign in to post.

swiss rail passes

My daughter and I will be visiting Switzerland in September, 2013 and thinking about at Swiss Flexipass to cover our time which will be about 8 days total. Most of our time will be spent in the Berner Oberland Region with the exception of travel between there and Zurich and possibly Lucerne. The cost of the pass which will be about $300 per person for 4 days travel in a month seems like a pretty good deal. If anyone has done similar, please let me know what you think. It is my understanding that the pass will cover some of the expense on special transportation to and from Junfrau and Schilthorn, am I correct. Thanks.

Posted by
6898 posts

How old is your daughter? If under 16, she can travel free in Switzerland with the Swiss Family Card as long as she travels with at least one parent with any kind of valid Swiss ticket (not pass or card - ticket). You ask for the free Swiss family card when you buy your tickets. If both of you are over 16, I believe that you have 4 days in the month where your travel is covered. On all other days, the pass serves as a 1/2 fare card. 50% discount on all Swiss travel. There are some conditions. Above Wengen to the Jungfraujoch and above Muerren to the Schilthorn, your flexi-pass will only cover 50% of the fare. So if you are going to the mountain tops, I suggest that you don't burn up a travel day when you can get 50% off anyway. If your daughter is under 16 and has the Swiss Family Card, she can go to both mountain tops for free.