Please sign in to post.

travel from amsterdam

I am trying to find out the best way/quick but not overly expensive to travel from Amsterdam to bruge. I see there are Thalys, fyra, and ICs, as well as different options to go through different cities (Brussels midi, Antwerp, etc.)
If anyone can offer any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Posted by
9099 posts

This all-in-one site will list all your options: http://www.nshispeed.nl/en The best routing is Thalys from Amsterdam to Antwerp. Antewrp to Bruges via regular inter-city train. The Thalys uses airline style pricing so the sooner you book the cheaper it will be (90 days allowed).

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you so much for your reply and help. When I go on the site, it has it going through Brussels, do you know if there is a way to choose Antwerp as the transfer station.
Thanks again!

Posted by
9099 posts

You're welcome. Occasionally, depending on the time of day, it is faster to do it via Brussels even though it is a stop away from Antwerp on the Thalys. If the site recommends Brussels over Antwerp on some of the departures, go by it's routing.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you, that is really helpful. It looks like it is double the price of going on a fyra/IC combination. Do you know if is significantly better to go the Thalys route?
Thanks again.

Posted by
12040 posts

Fyra was designed to compete with Thalys along the Amsterdam-Brussel corridor, but unfortunately, they bought some of the crappiest locomotives imaginable. There have been some severe problems with this service, although not as bad in the Netherlands as in Belgium. Given the choice, I would take the much more reliable Thalys trains.

Posted by
9099 posts

Fyra has been permanently scrapped on the segment between Belgium and Holland. The small service that still exists on the Rotterdam-Schipol-Amsteram corridor uses older equipment similar to the IC trains' but you still have to pay a supplement to use it. Thalys is much more comfortable and state of the art. On first class they offer free wifi and light refreshments. Second class is just as good though.