Please sign in to post.

Biking in Ireland

Is it feasible/safe to bike in Ireland from point to point? Specifically, biking the Ring of Kerry in a span of 3-4 days and if so the best points to start to see Kenmare, Killarney and then head to Dingle. Thank you.

Posted by
977 posts

Well it used to be! 25 years ago I did lots of cycling tours all over the country, but honestly at the speeds they drive on those narrow roads today I would not be willing to chance it. As for the ring of Kerry, as I see it you'd be on one of the most travelled routes, meeting or chasing big busses over narrow roads, with the odd hairpen bend thrown in for good measure. I really can't see it being very enjoyable.

Posted by
931 posts

Well, people do it all the time, but I can't understand how it can be safe. We just got back, and meeting bikes with our rental car was always scary. You never knew what you would find around each corner, and the roads are so darn narrow and lined with brush that you cannot see 50 feet down them. We did not drive the Ring, but did drive the Dingle loop and the Connemara loop. We really enjoyed both loops (after I had pulled over, and could view the sights).