Please sign in to post.

Navigo Decouverte

Hey! My husband and I will be arriving in Paris on June 26 (Wednesday) and we are renting an apartment for just over 3 weeks. I think the ND pass is the way to go but I'm just trying to work out logistics. I know the weekly pass is a strick Monday-Sunday deal and not a floating 7 days. Is the ND monthly pass that way as well? If we were to purchase a monthly pass upon our arrival on Wednesday could we start using it that day or would we have to wait until the beginning of July? If so, what's the cheapest way to go for the 5 days before the monthly pass is valid to use? In my research I've found that I can print out my own picture (maybe shrinking our passport photos) and they need to be 1' by 1.25' to fit the ND photo spot. Is this right or should we just wait and get our photo there. We need to have access to zones 1-5 because we will be doing work in all areas so I know I need the more expensive card. Does anyone have an updated price that I could somewhat budget for? Thanks for all the help! I'm a teacher and my husband is in graduate school and we are both young and totally nervous about this big trip! It'll be an adventure and we sure love that but I do appreciate any words of wisdom as money is really tight! Thanks
Cally

Posted by
3 posts

Ok awesome! Thanks! Do you know if it's cheaper to buy a week pass or just to buy tickets when we need them?

Posted by
8700 posts

Here are some options for Wednesday-Sunday:
1. Even though you'll only be using them for five days, load a Navigo Semaine on Navigo Decouverte cards. 2. Buy one-day Mobilis passes for each day you will travel beyond zone 1. You can buy them for zones 1-2 (€6.60), 1-3 €8.80), 1-4 (€10.85), and 1-5 (€15.65). Buy ten-ticket carnets as needed for days you won't go beyond zone 1 on the RER or zone 3 on the Metro and share the tickets. Are you under 26? If so, you can buy one-day Ticket Jeunes passes for Saturday and/or Sunday. A zone 1-3 pass costs €3.65 and a zone 1-5 pass costs €7.85.

Posted by
3 posts

Ok, I think the Mobilis Pass is going to be the best option for us financially. We are 26 and 27 years old so the youth pass won't work but thanks for the suggestion. We are staying in zone 4 so we'd need to get the largest pass. We will be doing the most moving around the zones in those first 6 days we are there because after that we are starting to volunteer in one area for my husband's school. Anyway, thanks for the good suggestions..they've been really helpful. Last one though, do I get the Mobilis Pass in any metro station? I read that it might be wiser to buy the Navigo pass from a tabac rather than try and do it at the metro. Is this the case do you think? Will all tabacs have them to sell or do I need to research that as well?

Posted by
8700 posts

You should be able to buy Mobilis passes at any Metro station. If a station isn't staffed, you'll need to insert coins in a ticket machine. I don't know if tabacs sell the Navigo Decouverte. You may need to go to a staffed ticket office.