Please sign in to post.

switzerland

Hello! Some friends and I are travelling to Switerland in September...our home base is on Lake Thun. We are wondering if it's possible time-wise to travel to Jungfrau, Timmelback Falls and Gimmlewald (returning to Thun) in one day? If so, what type of transportation should we use and what order should we see these places?

Posted by
4140 posts

Could you do it? Perhaps . Should you ? that's different ! Frankly this would be ( for my taste ) an extremely hectic and overcrowded day . Depending where on Lake Thun you are located , it could take an hour or so by train to Lauterbrunnen via Interlaken Ost . The rail trip to the Jungfraujoch is about two hours . Add two hours ,say , for enjoying the sights up there , and two hours back to Lauterbrunnen plus the return to your location on Thun and you are looking at eight hours . I don't think cramming in Trummelbach Falls or Gimmelwald , let alone both could possibly work . Better to allow two full days , slow down and savor these places ,rather than attempting to gobble them . They are all beautiful and need more time than one very rushed day !

Posted by
12040 posts

Gimmelwald might sit in a beautiful location, but it isn't worth going out of your way specifically to see. It's just a collection of barns and chalets, like any other. Skip it unless you plan to start a hike from there. If you have a car, you might be able to fit in both the Jungfrau and Trummelbach in one day.