Please sign in to post.

Train from Edinburgh to London

Hi, I've been having a little difficulty navigating the rail websites. I'm trying to book a train from Edinburgh to London. Originally, we were looking at the Caledonian Sleeper. But it would be much cheaper for us to take a normal train and hostel (which we were planning to do anyway). Does anyone have a website like skyscanner for trains in Europe?

Posted by
32329 posts

Kris, I'd suggest having a look at the excellent Man In Seat 61 website. You'll be able to find all the information you need there. You'll likely by using East Coast Rail from Edinburgh Waverley to London King's Cross. The trip is very pleasant and only takes about four hours, so there's really no need to take a night train. If you pre-book your tickets online, you'll be able to save money on the fares. As I recall, I had a bit of trouble with the booking website so had to call their office for assistance. They suggested clearing the Cache and Cookies in my PC and after that it seemed to work fine. I believe you have to collect the tickets at one of the Kiosks using the same credit card used for booking. Happy travels!

Posted by
521 posts

Does anyone have a website like skyscanner for trains in Europe? You can use the journey planner at www.bahn.com for any route in Europe, but it only allows you to buy tickets for Germany. For the UK the journey planner at www.nationalrail.co.uk covers all of the train operating companies, but it is usually a good idea to check prices on those companies' own websites because they may have better deals. For Edinburgh to London just use www.eastcoast.co.uk, which is the train operating company for that route. If you have problems navigating through the ticket purchase process then take a look at the detailed instructions I wrote in the following thread (scroll down to the message I posted 5/25/13 12:06 AM) http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=104799 Note that 'Advance' fares are the cheapest, but can only be used on the specific train they are booked for and they cannot be refunded. 'Off-peak' tickets provide more flexibility, allowing you to travel on any train outside of certain peak hours, but they are a lot more expensive. When you get to the delivery details stage of the process, you will see that East Coast gives you the opportunity to print your tickets at home. Note that you have to specify what kind of ID you will present with the ticket you print, and note that your self-printed ticket won't be valid unless you have that ID with you.

Posted by
1266 posts

Kris - If you know your travel date and can book your train ticket, fares are as low as £29.50 per person.