Please sign in to post.

Buying Train tickets for France

I tried several times with two different credit cards to buy train tickets from Paris to Bayeux on the SNCF website and each time my card was rejected. I do not understand what the problem is. I clicked on the pick up country to be France so I could print my tickets here. Has anyone else had this problem? My cards work all the time online.

Posted by
8700 posts

Call your credit card provider and tell them you wish to make an international transaction. It's quite likely that a computer is blocking your card for unusual, and therefore possibly fraudulent, activity.

Posted by
1175 posts

We have had rejected Visa card problems over the years even though we have called and emailed them about our foreign travels and purchases. They still rejected our purchases and then called our home phone to verify the charges. DUH! We were in Europe, so no answer at the home phone. Now it's best to send them a reminder about 60 days prior to the actual departure date. We've never had any similar problems with any other cards.

Posted by
922 posts

You may find, to your dismay, that your cards have been blocked entirely because the issuing banks suspected fraud. I'd call immediately; it's quick to straighten it out. I just went through this with a Visa card because I forget to alert them in advance that I would be making an international purchase online.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks to all of you for your advice. It dawned on me after I posted this that this was probably the problem. I am going to call my credit card companies now.
Thanks again for your help.

Posted by
501 posts

This topic seems to come up about every two weeks. I gave up and will pay at rail station. I usually am tenacious and seldom raise the white flag, but even I have a breaking point. I've tried many posters ideas and have met a dead end. Good Luck with your effort!

Posted by
638 posts

Are you using a Visa, by any chance? Does the website say "Verified by Visa"? Some Visa cards don't support "Verified by Visa" and others do (Capital One does not). Then you need to set up your Verified by Visa account and give yourself a password. Then sometimes you need to enter that password after you click Purchase on the train website. A Javascript window will open where you type it. Sometimes the problem is that you need to update Javascript on your computer. I hope the problem is as simple as your banks denying the purchase because Verified by Visa was a royal pain for me buying train tickets (yes, Paris to Bayeux and back) a few months ago. Be sure you are getting seats on that train, as it fills up especially on Fridays. Have a great time!