Please sign in to post.

First or Second class

My husband and I will travel by train from Berlin to Prague, Prague to Vienna, Vienna to Budapest and Budapest to Krakow. We are in our mid-sixties. I have been reading posts that your bags may be stolen from the trains. We will be on day trains. I have found all of the trains that we need and where to buy the tickets. We are going to on the international trains like Railjet and Eurocity. What do you think?
Don and Cat

Posted by
8293 posts

Cathy, what exactly are you asking? Do we think you should travel 1st or 2nd class? Or do we think it's true that your bags may get stolen?

Posted by
7 posts

Norma, Is it safer in first class? Have you ridden these trains before.
Cat

Posted by
10225 posts

Cathy, A few months ago someone posted their experience of having a bag stolen in first class. This got me thinking that if I were a thief, I'd target first class over second. That said, I've ridden the trains for years and never lost a bag in any class. Others have good methods of attaching or securing their bags, so maybe they'll post.

Posted by
23318 posts

The stolen bag issue is over hyped (IMO) in much the same manner that discussions about pickpockets, etc. Can it happen ? - Sure, most probably on Regional or Local trains and then very rarely. No one has ever posted (that I can remember) on this site about stolen luggage. Occasionally a friend of a cousin who knew a neighbors who son's girlfriend's parents knew someone who had bag stolen but it is not high on the list of things I worry about. Since we use carryon size only, we use the overhead racks and will clip the bag to a rib on the rack just to prevent a grab and run but we have never seen that either. We noticed that most of the European just throw their bags in the bins and the American tourist sit clutching their bags to their chest. Technically speaking first class would be "safer" simply because of few people and everyone has to pay more to be there. We rarely ride first class unless we can get a deal. In our opinion not worth the price different but some travelers prefer the idea of first class. Second class is about equal to business class on the airline. It is not coach. When we had put bags in the bin we do use a light weight cable lock to hook the bag together and maybe to something bigger. Again, the idea is that if they grab one bag the attached other bag should be surprise anchor. Relax, you will be fine whatever you decide.

Posted by
11507 posts

Its neither safer or more dangerous in first or second class. Keep your hand baggage with you. There are places for larger bags near doors . Some people like to get on first and make sure their bags get on bottom and back of pile, if anyone is taking anything its the bags on top and front.Others swear by takeing a bike lock and just locking bags ( loop though handles) to the train, or even to each other, no one wants to grab two bags at once . Bag stealing is not rife, it happens on occasion, but don't over stress I keep my eye on my bag by choosing a seat near by,I choose to store bag away from doors if I can, and I like to put bag behind other bags. On occasion I have been able to keep bag beside me if train is not full, and its a smaller bag, large bags are nothing but a pain in the butt in Europe , and especially for train travel where you are lifting them, carrying them up steps and over ledges a lot.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks everybody, that all I wanted to hear. We are going second class.
Cat and Don

Posted by
15234 posts

The chance of being ripped off by a thief in 2nd class is very remote.
The chance of being ripped off by the train company in 1st class is 100%. The price differential you have to pay for traveling in 1st class in a trip that long is probably more than the value of your entire belongings. It's like hiring a burglar alarm company to install and monitor your house. In the long run, unless you live in a really dangerous area rife with crime, the alarm company is going to rip you off much more than any real thief could ever do. We have to choose who we want to be ripped off by. A poor chap that might take your money or a rich corporation that certainly will take your money.

Posted by
11507 posts

I understand and agree with the spirit of what Roberto is saying, but sometimes if you book well in advance a first class seat is like 5 euros more We took a train from Paris to Nice ( 5.5 hours) last summer , we took the first class tickets even though I was looking at 2nd class and normally take 2nd class because they were only about 10 euros more. Cost was 40 euros each.
On that train ride we met and befriended an American couple who had purchased their tickets only 2 weeks previously. They had paid 200 euros for their tickets. I had to show them my tickets to prove that booking 120 days in advance (idTGV ) saved us that much cash !

Posted by
18054 posts

Specifically to the Vienna - Budapest leg there is almost no difference between first and second class as far as comfort on this leg of your trip. The difference in cost is 29 euro vs 13 euro. So the price difference is about 24 dollars. I wouldn't worry about buying in advance. I would purchase the ticket to Budapest on the day I arrive in Vienna. For bag safety I have at times hooked my carry on strap through or around something. I figure theft is a crime of opportunity and just having to unhook a strap might be enough to deter grab and run. For the Budapest - Krakow leg I would take the Orangeways bus. That's way too long a train trip for me; and I don't do sleepers. Actually, to be honest; we call the Kempinski High Tatras hotel in Strbske Pleso and they send a car. We spend a few nights on the lake and do a little fishing nearby, then the hotel will drop you in Krakow. Its not cheap but its a splurge we like on occasion and the drive through and sightseeing in Slovakia is a pretty special Oh, and you cant compare the Vienna to Budapest or the Budapest to Krakow to the idTGV. This is a different, but nice, class of transportation. $200 or even $150 will get you there and back a few times. If any of the legs cost much more than 25 euro you might want to make sure you have gone to the right websites.

Posted by
45 posts

A few years back when we were in our late fifties my wife and I went from Prague to Krakow to Budapest to Vienna. We elected to go first class because we went on a night train on the Prague to Krakow and Krakow to Budapest legs. More time sightseeing. The first class allowed us to have a private cabin. If traveling during the day I would have opt for 2nd class. The key to me is travel light. It makes getting around sooooo much easier. You will have a great trip. Wonderful people and food. Never been to Berlin but so much to see and do in the other cities. Steve Also never had any problems with pick pockets or bags being lifted, although on the krakow to Budapest leg the conductor did warn us not to open the door to our cabin until the morning when we arrived. He said sometimes gypsies will board the train to rip off passengers, but no problem we were sleeping.
No one knock on our door during the night. No problem.