Please sign in to post.

Getting from Heathrow to Bath

I am traveling to Wales in September with my first stop being Bath. I am trying to figure out the best way to get from Heathrow to Bath on a Friday morning. The bus sounds easy but I'm not sure about the times. There is one bus 2 hours after our plane arrives. Is that enough time? The next bus is almost 3 hours later, which could be a long wait if the plane is a little late. I could also get a train from Paddington. Would that be better? Do I take the Express Train or tube to Paddington> The Express Train is much faster but a lot more expensive. With both the bus and train, I hate the idea of buying in advance when I can't be sure the plane will arrive on time, but I am interested in saving money. Would appreciate any advice/suggestions. Thank you.

Posted by
8700 posts

Before anyone can give you detailed suggestions we need to know what time your plane is scheduled to arrive.

Posted by
2758 posts

My plane arrives at 7:30 am on a Friday morning. Thanks.

Posted by
1175 posts

We used aquacars.co.uk who met us at Heathrow and drove us to Portsmouth for less money than 2 trains tickets, the cost to get to Paddington, and the hassle of not knowing when we'd arrive. Check them out and see if they might be a solution. Being delivered from Heathrow directly to your destination might take some of the anxiety out of a late flight.

Posted by
19651 posts

We recently took the National Express bus from Heathrow to Winchester. The organization where you board the bus left a lot to be desired but the folks were all very nice and the service was clean, comfortable, affordable and really pretty nice all things considered. Would do it again (and probably will later this year).

Posted by
4684 posts

Another alternative is to get the non-stop Railair bus service which runs from Heathrow to Reading railway station, where most trains from London to Bath stop. If you don't want to take the bus all the way it's quicker than getting a train to Paddington and returning.

Posted by
8700 posts

It could take up to one hour to clear immigration/passport control, but if your plane arrives on time you should be able to catch the 09:45 direct National Express coach to Bath Spa. The walk-up fare is £20.70. If your plane is late and you don't want to wait for the 12:15 coach, do as Philip suggests and take a RailAir coach to Reading and a train from there to Bath Spa. Coaches run about three times/hour and the fare is £15.00. Buy a train ticket when you get to Reading and get on the next available train. The walk-up off-peak fare is £30.00.

Posted by
5433 posts

The walk-up single train fare from Reading to Bath drops to £23.70 for trains departing after 10:30 (Super Off-Peak). It would only be £5.70+£13.30=£19 by buying two tickets, one Reading->Didcot and the other Didcot->Bath Spa, providing the train stops at Didcot (no need to get off) - roughly half of them do.

Posted by
2758 posts

Thanks so much for the replies. The bus to Reading and train to Bath sounds like a great idea if we miss the bus to Bath. Thanks again to all who replied.