Please sign in to post.

Travel from Barcelona to Madrid

In the latest RS book, the AVE train fare on this route is listed as 130 Euro. When I look at RENFE web site, it goes straight to Rail Europe and goes up to 246 euro each, person, each way. BIG difference. How come prices have gone up so much and is this correct? Tried to book Vuelling and they won't accept my credit card for some reason.
Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.

Posted by
23296 posts

Unless something has changed, I have always been able to use the Renfe site with no problem. R Europe is a travel agency that sells marked up tickets to North Americans sometimes at a significant mark up. If Renfe asks for your location, say Great Britain and see what happens.

Posted by
16338 posts

Www.renfe.com Make sure you choose that one. IMF you Google Renfe then the RailEurope site is the sponsored site in yellow at the top. Do NOT choose that one, go down to Renfe.com and it won't switch you. And note that even that 130 € is high. If you buy in advance to get the Promo fare, it can be as little as 32-44€ between Barcelona and Madrid.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks everyone for all the great information. I will persevere with Renfe and try the train system!