Please sign in to post.

Taking Tube from LHR on a Sunday when Arsenal is at home

I love the Tube and am very comfortable getting around on it but have never taken it from Heathrow into London. I'm thinking that this time, however, I'll save some pounds and try it out. My plane lands at Terminal 5 at noon on a Sunday. My questions are: 1. Arsenal is playing Man U at home at 4:00 that day. Figuring that I'd be getting on the Tube at LHR somewhere between 12:30-1:00, would that likely be early enough to avoid trains packed with supporters? 2. I have an Oyster PAYG card from a previous trip which I plan to top up with, I don't know, £20. Will that pay for the trip from LHR in to London? In other words, provided I have sufficient funds on my Oyster card, can I use it to pay for that trip (don't need a separate ticket)? I'm also wondering if it would be worth transferring at Acton Town for the District to Ealing Broadway, and then the Central to Lancaster Gate (where my hotel is), or if should just stay on and transfer somewhere in Zone 1, like Holborn. Opinions?

Posted by
5333 posts

You are staying in an area that would be much easier - at the extra cost - of taking the Heathrow Express (or Connect) and walk from Paddington for about 5 mins. Otherwise the easiest route on connections would be Piccadilly Line to Hyde Park Corner and then the 148 bus.

Posted by
32929 posts

Have you checked the planned engineering works calendar for the day you arrive to ensure that the line(s) you want will be operating that day? There will be plenty of scarf wearing fanatics all over the tube prior to kickoff. If your Oyster has been asleep for a very long time you may have to have the staff wake it up, regardless it will be fine. You can put £20 on it easily. A zone 1 to 6 single fare with an Oyster off peak is only £3.