Please sign in to post.

Helsinki

Can I get a ferry to Stockholm from Helsinki for a day trip or overnight? Can I make arrangements from Helsinki or should I do it before we leave. We depart the US April 12th arrive the 13th. We have 5 days before moving to a Baltic tour.

Posted by
5799 posts

Yes, you can get a ferry between Stockholm and Helsinki. You can book in Helsinki or Stockholm(unless it is sold out), but you can also book in advance. The websites of the two ferry operators are: Viking Line Tallink Silja. Silja ships are generally a bit nicer than Viking ships

Posted by
9109 posts

In addition, this ferry route is one of the most scenic journeys I have ever made anywhere in the world. It will likely be the highlight of your trip!

Posted by
64 posts

Thank you so much. I have spent a fair amount of time time trying to decide what to do in and around Helsinki. Everything I saw went to the Baltics which is where we will be going.

Posted by
4535 posts

The ferry is wonderful. I've taken the Silja line and liked it. I suggest booking in advance, just to make sure you get the cabin you want. But depending on time of year, there'd probably still be room on one of the two lines. The archipelago outside Stockholm is best seen in the evening as you depart Stockholm, but is nice in the morning on arrival too. You'll need at least one overnight in Stockholm since the ferry arrives mid-morning and leaves late afternoon. Two or three nights is realistic to see the city.