Please sign in to post.

Train vs. rental car

We are a family of 2 adults and 1 fifteen year old son. Our dilemna: To drive or ride. The best way to go if we ride would be a multicountry pass but that puts my husband and I in first class and our son in 2nd. (According to the passes that are offered). I also checked into rental car and it may be cheaper than paying for 3 passes but do I want to hassle of driving? However, this may open up new routes along our trip and we may see things we weren't counting on. I've always done public transportation in Europe, this would be my first experience with a car. Any input would be great! We plan on traveling from Germany to Austria, to Slovenia, to Switzerland.

Posted by
7209 posts

Well right off the bat you're going to have to buy at least two auto vignettes - 1 for austria and 1 for switzerland. Son travels for free on public Swiss transport wherever you go. Your passes don't prevent you from sitting in 2nd class with son.

I've done both and the hassles and headaches of having that millstone (I mean car) around my neck just doesn't interest me anymore. High gas, high insurance, expensive parking...if you can find it, overcharges for tiny scratches that you may put on the car, having to deal with a fender bender if it should happen, buying maps, asking directions. With a car you just open up so many possibilities of added headaches...maybe they won't happen to you...maybe they will.

Honestly I know nothing about Slovenia so I can't tell you if a car is a plus or a minus, but since Slovenia is probably considered Eastern Europe you will likely have to have special theft insurance for your automobile and your choices of an auto will probably be limited.

Posted by
108 posts

Sarah, we are having the same dilemma though our trip is Bavaria and Italy, Paris and England. One thing I'm finding is that you can often find cheap air between many cities that is less than rail.It all takes a lot of research. RS would probably suggest that you upgrade your son's rail pass to same as yours, costs a bit more but then you all have the luxury of 1st class since the two adults are having to pay for it anyway! Germany Rental cars are pretty reasonable compared with some of the other countries. I would do some serious research before you make your decision. Do a cost comparison of both options. It takes a lot of time but then you'll be comfortable with your decision. I'm finding it's kinda like a full time job! Feedback from this site is a real help. Good luck.

Posted by
7569 posts

I will add my standard advice, it really is not a matter of "either or" when the answer may be both. Depending on the time you have, how much "off the beaten path" travel your doing, and your own comfort zone, a mix might best. I often depend mostly on public transport for major travel and rent a car for a few days (or even a day) to cover an area, then move on.

Posted by
486 posts

Traveling first class and leaving your teenager to travel in the second class coach? Sounds too good to miss! I'd call that a fantasy.

Seriously, cars can be a millstone as parking even in smaller towns in Europe is a hassle.

Posted by
57 posts

I would have considered a lease, however, we won't be there long enough to benefit. Thanks for all the information

Posted by
7209 posts

One more thing is the additional cost of dropping a car in a different country than where you originally rented. That cost can be several hundred Euro. Also add in the cost of toll roads which you will find abundantly in Italy and France...maybe Germany, too, I can't remember.

www.viamichelin.com will give you good driving directions and I think it willl also tell you where the toll roads are.

I thought at first that Slovenia may have very little choices as far as trains and public transportation so I thought perhaps a car would be necessary. However I looked here http://www.visiteurope.com/ccm/travel_tips/detail/?nav_cat=212&lang=fr_GL&item_url=/NTO-Slovenia/uniquepages/usefulinfo/public-transportation.es and it seems that Slovenia is well connected by train as are Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Posted by
12172 posts

How long are you going? If over 17 days, a lease is cheaper and includes "walk away" insurance in the price. Since it's from French manufacturers, it's cheaper to pick up and drop off in France (no added charge). We picked up in Amsterdam and dropped off in Rome. Even with additional charges at both ends it was still a really good deal, a fraction of train passes for our family of five.

I would certainly consider it again, but I would add a GPS on my next trip (Italian streets are rarely, if ever, marked).

Driving is better for seeing places on your schedule and getting places that aren't served well by public transport (fewer tourists, better prices). Trains are more relaxing and much less hassle in major cities where parking is expensive, hard to find and of questionable security.

All energy, including gas, is very expensive in Europe. Cars get good mileage, however, so we didn't spend more on gas than for a driving vacation in the US.

Posted by
850 posts

If you are going to pick up and drop off in the same country I think you would enjoy the car. Germany has good rates if that is your p/u and drop off point. If you have to drop in another country from the one you p/u in then the cost would go up a great deal. The other thing could be driving into Slovenia. It may not be allowed through the rental company or it could also bump up the cost. I have gone through gemut.com twice and was very pleased with the rates and customer service. If you do drive get a gps either by renting one or taking one with you. Train vs car is a personal thing and a debate that is on going and I much prefer a car but I do try to avoid driving in big cities.

Posted by
16333 posts

Your best solution might be a combination of drive and train. For starters, the 4-country train passes might not be the best option; depending on where you are going and how far each leg of the journey is, you might do better with point-to-point tickets. In Germany, you can get the regional Länder tickets for the 3 of you traveling together, which are generally a very good deal. And in Switzerland, as already noted, your son rides the trains for free. Also, a multi-country pass is somewhat of a waste in Switzerland because (a) you don't need 1st class on Swiss trains and (b) the Swiss passes provide better coverage on the Swiss rail/cablecar/boat network.

On the other hand, a car is nice for touring parts of Bavaria (like getting to Newschwanstein castle), and you might like one in Slovenia. Because of the potential extra charges for taking a car into Slovenia, it might be best to train into Ljubljana and rent a car for that portion, then return it and head to Switzerland.