Please sign in to post.

Where to drop the rental car

Hello,
2 friends and I plan to rent a car driving from FCO to Cortona on 29th and stay Cortona as base. On 30th we plan see Cortona or Siena. on 1st-4th stay in Venice, but on 1sth, we'll see Florence on our way to Venice, and meanwhile, we'll drop off the rental car. Please let me know where is the good location to drop off the car and is this a good plan for 2 days rental? Thank you!

Posted by
931 posts

Do you know where all of the ZTL's are in Florence and Siena? I would not even attempt to drive in either of these cities. Why don't you take the trains/buses? There are excellent train connections between Rome and Florence, and Venice. The bus between Forence and Siena is just great. In fact, we did like Rick suggested and stayed in Sienna, and took the bus each day to explore Florence. We alwasy get a rental car, but not for that route. Italian public trans is just great between the major cities.

Posted by
15161 posts

It depends on which rental co. you are renting from. Location for drop off vary. Several offices are on Borgo Ognissanti, not far from the station.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you Steve and Reberto! We'll take train to Florence. I wonder where is the rail station in between Cortona and Florence to drop off the rental car then take train to Florence. The rental car is from Hertz.

Posted by
864 posts

Just a word to the wise re dropping off/picking up rental cars. Research ahead and know when the rental agency opens, closes for lunch, closes for the day. Even if you reserve and automatic it's iffy that one will be available. Second training Florence/Venice etc.

Posted by
931 posts

MM, go to the Autoeurope.com web site. Plug in your pick up location, then go thru all of the options for your drop-off location. You should find Hertz on there, with the adress. Google the location. We usually rent thru Autoeurope (a broker based in Maine), and find that booking and finding locations is painless when using their website. Ensure that you understand hrs, dates, and location of agency. Prices very with PUa and Drop off locations. Bring your drivers license, your International Drivers Permit, (that you get at your local AAA office),a Michelin map of Italy, your GPS from home (loaded with EU maps), and a compass.

Posted by
15161 posts

Hello: If it's Hertz, then these are your options from Cortona: The closest location is to return the car in Arezzo. The office is not exactly at the station, but a short taxi drive. The address is (call to verify): 97, V. Calamandrei - 52100 Arezzo (AR) tel: 0575 27577, 0575 351291 - fax: 0575 1824411 from Arezzo there are trains to Florence. In Florence Hertz has 4 locations, the first one in this list is the airport location: 1, Via Palagio Degli Spini - 50145 Firenze (FI) tel: 055 307370, 055 317543 75/V, V. Di Novoli - 50127 Firenze (FI) tel: 055 4362560 53, Via Del Sansovino - 50142 Firenze (FI) tel: 055 7135172 137/R, Borgo Ognissanti - 50123 Firenze (FI)
tel: 055 2398205, 055 282260, 055 288256 The last one on the list above is in the historical center close to the station. It's within the ZTL, therefore you need to know how to get there with the proper itinerary. The above tel numbers must be preceded by the international code (011) plus the Country code (Italy=39). While in Italy to place a call you don't need them, however the city area code (e.g. 055 for Florence), must always be included, even if you are calling from within the same city.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you all! Hello Roberto, The following are the locations in Florence to pick up rental car. Please let me know whick one is best and can avoid ZTL: Florence Central Office - Via Maso Finiguerra 13/R Italy Florence City Office, Via Florlanini, 2 Italy downtown office, 128 r via borgo Ognissanti Italy downtown office, 53/55r Via Borgo Ognissanti Italy
downtown office, Via Del Sansovino 53 Italy Thank you!

Posted by
15161 posts

There is no fear of the ZTL if you pick up the car. You don't get a photo on exit. If you return the car at a ZTL location, you must choose the itinerary that avoids the Candid Camera gate or otherwise notify the agency upon arrival, so that they go online and enter the license plate so that you don't get fined. The locations you gave are not all Hertz. Unless things have changed in the last few months I've added the names of the company to your addresses. These first 3 are all within steps from each other and all within the ZTL. To get out of there is no problem, to get in you must be careful. In particular the Europcar location, I myself wouldn't know how to reach without getting zapped by the camera. For that location they must necessarily enter your license plate on the website, I can't think of any other route to that one without passing through a camera.: Via Maso Finiguerra 13/R Italy (HERTZ) 128 r via borgo Ognissanti Italy (AVIS-BUDGET) 53/55r Via Borgo Ognissanti Italy (EUROPCAR) The 2 locations below are not actually downtown (within the historical center), therefore you are far from the ZTL. Via Del Sansovino 53 Italy (HERTZ)
Via Florlanini, 2 Italy (HERTZ) Via del Sansovino is basically on the way to Isolotto district (across the river from the Cascine park). They have a large parking lot and it's easy to get in and out, however they are not walking distance to the city center, therefore from/to there you need a taxi or a bus. Via Forlanini is between the Airport and the city center. It's right next to the Social Sciences campus of the Univ. of Florence. As with via del Sansovino, you need a bus or a taxi to get to the city center. If you need driving directions to any, let me know your origin and your destination.