Please sign in to post.

driving from Italy to France

we want to rent and drive a car from Italy into Southern France. We are wondering if we will run into any problems going from one country to another? are there security check points we need to know about or any thing else? It is our first time to Italy.

Posted by
864 posts

Your rental car will be a bit more expensive renting beginning in Italy (I don't remember how we came to this conclusion but we always rent in France or Germany). Anyway, the signs are easy to follow just be sure you get a GOOD spiral bound map, availble at the local gas stations. It will give you the European city names vs. U.S. versions. There are no security checkpoints. If you can't drive a stick make sure you are clear on this when making your reservations. Also, try for a diesle car - cheaper fuel.

Posted by
7209 posts

and be prepared for lots and lots of toll roads.

Posted by
12172 posts

You will hardly notice the border.

Some borders have requirements that cause you to stop, I don't think France-Italy is one of those.

The stops are about rules of the road rather than passports. Austria makes you pay a tax to drive on their autobahns (or you can drive only local roads) and you have to buy a reflective vest for safety (in case you have a breakdown).

Posted by
479 posts

Chris, I apologize greatly if what I am going to say causes any offense. I honestly don't mean to. It sounds like you're slightly unaware of the current state of European affairs of state. It would be good for you to read up on it to get a high level understanding of what goes on. For starters, read through this and explore further on the internet from there.

Posted by
108 posts

Probably the biggest problem you'll run into is the rental drop fee. We looked at renting in Italy (one of the highest cost rental countries in Europe) and dropping in Germany. The drop fee was $450!! You might want to look at the train option or even a cheapy flight. Good luck.