Please sign in to post.

Who's joining me in Eastern Europe in 2021?

Who's ready to book the Best of Eastern Europe in 2021? I'll be celebrating my 50th in October on a tour! Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise...

Posted by
11147 posts

I looked at the itinerary and I have visited most that are included. Krakow stands out as the major highlight for me. Enjoy and hope that your tour can resume in 2021.

Posted by
40 posts

Thank you! I'm double crossing my fingers! I've been planning this trip for years!

Posted by
7049 posts

I'd hate to say this, but I would really not book anything right now (or commit emotionally to any plan) with so many unknowns. There is no cost to waiting until next year to see where things are heading. Nothing is a "given" right now.

Posted by
17892 posts

Michelle:

Looks like a wonderful trip. Not sure when you are planning on going, but my favorite time in the region is mid-April to around the first of June, then again September until about mid-October.

Also, as the trip ends in Ljubljana, you might consider, if it works for you, flying home through Istanbul (there is direct service out of Ljubljana) and spending a few days in Istanbul. Turkish Air is generally the cheapest from my part of the country ... but dont know here you live. Although I got very good rates on British Air, through LHR out of Istanbul, for my trip in September.

Have a blast!!!

Agnes: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/general-europe/refocusing-this-forum

Posted by
593 posts

Hi Michelle I'm seriously considering that tour and was thinking of October, so who knows, we might end up tourmates!

Posted by
40 posts

Thank you, James and Accidental Southerner! I have been dreaming about this for so many years... I will put my deposit down as soon as they announce dates!
My birthday is the 18th, and I'm hoping to end a tour right before then, and then travel to Venice, so I can wake up on my 50th in Venice!

Posted by
17892 posts

Did your post say "October" the frist time I read it? Good grief, I am getting senile.

Venice for your birthday would be fantastic. Most years, like this year, I am in Budapest around my birthday ... which would put me in Budapest about the same time you are. I will be about a dozen years older than you. Watch for me on the sidewalk.

Posted by
12 posts

I’m hoping to go in the Fall of 2021. I guess time will tell! Fingers crossed. 😊

Posted by
1018 posts

Eastern Europe is on my bucket list too but I have others that come before it. We may not do a RS tour in 2021. I am thinking about two small group tours if all is ok next year.

Posted by
2 posts

If you go to Krakow you must take a trip to Wieliczka salt mine. I first went about 1995 and have been back three times since. Fantastic

Posted by
40 posts

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words! And especially Susie... our next adventure!!

Posted by
301 posts

Yep, that’s me too, ready to book the Eastern Europe tour (again!). I’d have been on that tour right now had the pandemic not happened, hoping for next year🤞

Posted by
73 posts

I took the Best of Eastern Europe two years ago and it was fantastic! We only had two nights in Kraków and it was not enough. Rick has added a third night now which is a very good thing. This was one if the best trips ever. I had signed up for Best of the Adriatic for June but of course that was canceled.

Posted by
564 posts

It’s an intriguing engaging tour. The historical complexity of its past tore on my heart strings.
I hope you get to visit it. Krakow surprised me and I loved it.
I had Delta flights. but the regional airline used out of Libjuliana wouldn’t give me my connecting second segment ticket for AMS-BOS. It was a very hectic experience to make my flight home.

Posted by
40 posts

Wow, thanks, Diane. That's good to know.

I hope they announce dates soon. It will give me hope for 2021 in general!

Posted by
668 posts

Another plug for the Eastern Europe tour, which we took in 2018! I, too, wish we'd had more time in Krakow....and in Budapest. Give yourself plenty of time to explore Prague prior to the start of the tour. At the end of the tour we took a GoOpti shuttle from Ljubljana to Venice (it's only a few hours by car), spent four days relaxing and enjoying all things Italian, and had an easy time flying home from Venice. A lot of people go to Vienna at the end of the tour; we actually flew into Vienna, spent a few days there, and then made our way to Prague.

Posted by
593 posts

Ruth, thanks for sharing your experience. I am very interested in this tour and was trying to figure out how to fit in some of the nearby cities. I’ve been to Italy more than once but never Venice and it would be a shame to be so close and not visit. And then Vienna beckoned as well. So now I’ve got an idea how to do it.

Posted by
10214 posts

The 2021 tours are now posted. You can choose one to show your interest, but they are not taking actual bookings yet. I ‘signed up’ for the Eastern Europe tour. I’ve only traveled independently, but think this tour could be helpful. To fit my proposed schedule for next year, where I was going to include a week in Budapest in mid-October at the end of my 8-9 week trip, I signed up for the August 20 tour. In this scenario The rest of the trip would happen after the tour. It will be interesting to see if the tours actually happen.

Posted by
40 posts

Thanks, Ruth! That is exactly what I intend to do! Start in Vienna and end in Venice!
I'm beyond excited! Signed up for notification for Oct 1-15 tour!!

Posted by
593 posts

Michelle, I also selected "notify me" for October 1-15 though I'm not entirely sure I'll be available even if the tour does run. Hope so though!

Posted by
668 posts

Accidental Southerner and Michelle— my blog from 2018 (Vienna /Cesky Krumlov/Prague/RS Eastern Europe/Venice) is still available at rbasummer18.wordpress.com. You’ll need to keep scrolling backwards to “older posts” until you get to June 1, and then read from the end to the beginning to follow the trip in order.

Posted by
40 posts

Accidental Southerner, how great! Maybe we will meet! A few of my girlfriends might go too!

And Ruth, thank you! I'll look it up!

Posted by
14 posts

Hope you get the chance to spend your 50th in Europe next year. I spent my 50th birthday at a cooking school in Florence Italy on a Rick Steves tour. That was eight years ago and I made a promise to myself to never spend my birthday in my home state. So far I have been able to keep that promise. This year I had to settle for Colorado when my trip to Croatia was cancelled. Looking forward to heading back to Europe for Birthday number 58.

Posted by
40 posts

Thanks Michelle! I know what you mean... this Michelle was supposed to be in the south of France in a couple of weeks... I'm so disappointed. But planning for next year has lifted my spirits!