Please sign in to post.

What footwear to bring - Munich, Salzburg & Vienna - late Nov 2017

I've taken 2 RS tours but the M, S, V tour will be my first one in winter. I typically wear my trusty Dansko's, but am thinking for this tour I might need more of a hiking type shoe. That said, I don't want to lock myself into a clunkier shoe if I don't have to.

Has anyone done this tour or these cities in the winter? Any advice is appreciated!

Posted by
3951 posts

How about some soft leather ankle boots treated to waterproof them? They are really popular now with a lot of brands to choose from. Just bought 3 pair of Clarks for family members for Christmas and they love them.

Posted by
1203 posts

I think your smart to think that way. I took the GAS tour which goes to where your 8 day tour goes to and went in late August and into early September so I did not need boots. But I think a waterproof boots maybe with fur lining or at least a nice boot that will keep your feet dry and warm would be a good thing. It can be chilly, rainy, snowy that time of year. But mostly just chilly and your outside a lot so you want to dress in layers and be warm. That said, the cities and Hallstatt are very beautiful.

Posted by
731 posts

I lived in my Merrell boots and Merrell Jungle Mocs and hubby loved his Jungle Mocs too. Very comfy, great support, and no break in time required. My Merrell boots were black, side-zippered and came almost to my knees (and were perfect with a maxi-skirt for our dinner concert and our after-tour opera). Both shoes were perfect for our Nov 2016 tour. We took the same tour and you'll want to have comfortable and warm footware, especially if you plan on visiting all the Christmas markets (and you SHOULD)!

Posted by
10 posts

I was in those same cities in early December of 2015 and 2016. Brought tennis shoes and Columbia boots (lightweight) with me. The weather was very mild. wore tennis shoes daily in 2016. In 2015, brought Clark chukka-style boots and tennis shoes. It wasn't snowy but it was a little cold so wore thicker swollen socks until we got to Munich where it was in the 50s and 60s in mid-December. Take tights or leggings, too.

Posted by
84 posts

Not everyone needs warm footwear in their home state. If this applies to you, rather than purchasing boots of that type, an inexpensive shortcut is this: buy WOOL or wool blend socks. Thin is good. Wool is warmer and dries from the inside out. Use thin cotton or nylon socks as a first pair, if you get itchy. Make boot liners from ziplock or plastic grocery bags. Tinker with how much plastic to wear ahead of time. You want your whole foot covered, but no tacky excess adorning your ankles. Make 2 or 3 pair of these as the plastic can tear. Put on your socks, slip the liner over, then into your boots. Even if your boots get soaked, your feet will be dry and therefore, warm. You can even wear soaked boots the next day (stuff with newspaper overnight). It is the wet foot that you want to avoid. Enjoy your trip!