Please sign in to post.

Weather for My Way Europe Tour beginning September 5, 2017

We are booked for the first MWE tour in September. I was wondering what types of weather previous tour go-ers may have encountered? Was Switzerland rainy/cool? Will it be warm enough for swimming in Cinque-Terra? I wonder how hot Rome is in mid-September? (Our previous experience there was a June trip). Thanks for any insight!

Posted by
11507 posts

It will still be hot in Rome . I've been there mid sepyember and melted .
It will likely be hot enough for a dip when in the Cinque Terra .

Switzerland could be sunny ( but not hot ) and nice , or when up in mountains cooler and rainy . Bring a windbreaker and a sweater to later with .

Posted by
333 posts

I'll be taking the same tour as you only two weeks later. I was in the same places in the spring a year and a half ago. Italy was warm and everyplace else quite chilly and wet! I'll be packing with fall weather in mind. Lots of layers with 1 or 2 warm/hot weather outfits (and a swim suit for the Cinque Terre/Monterosso) and the rest geared toward fall weather, short & long sleeved tees with sweaters and one fleece vest, and a waterproof jacket. Last time I had too many warm weather clothes and not enough chilly weather clothes.
Lisa

Posted by
15795 posts

Nancy, just a thought about swimming? I looked at the itinerary for this tour and you only have 1 full day in the CT, arriving late enough in the afternoon before not to have time to do much for exploring. None of the other destinations are paddle-friendly. You may want to weigh just how important a dip is to you to take up bag space with a suit and water shoes (recommended if possible) for just a few hours of a 14-day trip?

Additionally, exploring the rest of the 5 villages can easily consume most if not all of that one day. If swimming is high on your to-do list then that's absolutely fine but it's something to think about? :O)

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks, Kathy. My husband and I were 'iffy' on the swimming in CT - but didn't know if it was something everyone did at the end of the hike. We are more interested in trying to hike the villages. We'll save our swimming (and luggage space) for beach vacations.

Posted by
15795 posts

We are more interested in trying to hike the villages.

Ah. We should probably touch base on that as 2 out of 4 segments of the most popular route are closed and will remain so through this season. There are many other trails in the park but I know that the famous Sentiero Azzurro (Blue Trail) is the one the vast majority itch to do. Those 2 open segments (Monterosso>Vernazza>Corniglia) are great and may well be enough but if your plan was to do that entire route, the "Blue" is a no-go from Corniglia>Manarola>Riomaggiore so you'll need to take the train from Corniglia, and either train or boat from Manarola to Riomaggiore.

No matter, the villages are fun - although they could be very busy - and you'll find plenty to explore. Personally I don't think Corniglia is hard to get to, as some tourists seem to think: either hike it in from Vernazza or catch the little bus that zips up and down the hill from its train station to town. Tiny as she is, it's a favorite of mine, has two of the prettiest little churches in the CT, and a pretty, pocket-sized piazza.

From town to train station, take the 382-step, 33-switchback Lardarina stairway as as alternative to the bus: easier going DOWN than UP!! :O)

Posted by
11130 posts

We swam in the Cinque Terre in September, very pleasant..
We have been to Rome several times. It was very hot and humid Sept 19-25 the year we visited.

Posted by
11507 posts

how much space does a bathing suit take up.. practically none.. and I would skip the water shoes.. it might be nice to have them but you can survive one day at the beach without them.

Posted by
15795 posts

how much space does a bathing suit take up.. practically none

LOL, true, Pat. But I've gotten used to so many of the RS folks being "packing light" diehards that I've got it on the brain (although not a complete convert yet) ! Ha.