We are booked for RS Greece tour but friends that hope to go with us, missed getting on the tour and therefore are waitlisted. Anyone have any luck getting on their waitlisted tour yet? The tour starts Oct 1st and while there is time, we don’t want to miss out on booking something else if needed, so we can go together.
This post should be reassuring.
have they called to see what position they are on the waitlist? if in the top 2 spots odds had been pretty good in the pre-covid tour era of getting off it, this probably extends much deeper now with the complete refund offer until Dec 31st. I don't think you'll miss out on a lot of booking opportunities for something else if you wait until January and see how things shake out.
BTW we did the Greece tour a few years ago and it is our favorite! A great mix of history, beaches, food.
We were waitlisted on two tours, Best of Sicily and My Way Italy for April/ May next year and now have confirmed spots on both. We waitlisted the Sicily tour right after the schedule came out on May 28 and the My Way tour in late June. We were notified we had spots on the Sicily tour on June 28th and the My Way tour on Aug. 25th. I noticed there are about 40 dates for Greece, so I would anticipate that there may be lots of people moving their dates as it gets closer to the end of the year and the free refund period ends. Fingers crossed for you.
I did call the office and since we are booked and it’s family who want to come, they are able to give us a positive feel for getting into the tour. I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks everyone,
I just received an email for a wait-listed tour I put my name on a few months ago. Alas, I now have agreed to helping with the grands over that time. So, I had to pass on the opportunity.
Alas, Covid is on the rise in parts of Europe so RS may see cancellations coming more frequently than anticipated. Or maybe not. Certainly the team at RS Europe will have to develop great needle threading skills over the next year or two.
Just got onto the Sicily tour we were waitlisted for, woo hoo!! So I bet there’s a very big chance they will too.
Oh hope then! I did sign up to be waitlisted for a couple different dates that would still work for , close to our original date, so hopefully something will move. Fingers crossed! Thanks for the positive vibes.
Contacted yesterday by RS and informed we got into a waitlisted tour (Italy) leaving early Oct. 2022. Was waitlisted 3 1/2 months, since Aug 2021. Pretty happy with this outcome as tour was linked to our booked RS tour that preceded it, and entire Italian trip would be a no-go if waitlisted tour fell through. For greater flexibility, we did waitlist on 3 possible dates and we think that helped. Plus we could change dates on already booked preceding tour, if needed, and as it turns out it was needed. RS made the transfer, easy-peasy. Thanks Rick Steves!
Friends signed up in September for a Sicily tour date in April and were waitlisted. In October they were told they were #19 on the list. 2 weeks ago they were offered slots.
I’m guessing there were a lot of knee jerk reactions to Omicron and folks canceling 2022 tours.
I think we will want to be cautious about characterizing or labeling people's decisions regarding tours. Each of us comes from a different set of circumstances and has different elements to consider in making travel decisions. I don't think the decision to travel or not to travel is an easy one for many people.
I found that my sister and I had two different perspectives on an upcoming trip we had scheduled in March. For her, the deal breaker was that if she ended up testing positive at the end of the trip, she would not make it back to work at the required time and this was not a situation that she felt would be acceptable. The stress of that possibility being out there meant that she would be experiencing that stress or doubt for the entire trip and it would take away a great deal of the enjoyment.
While I would be comfortable going, I have different circumstances. It is so important that we continue to treat each other with respect on this forum, no matter what travel decisions that people make.
Ok, Carol, I respect your addition to the forum, however, I’m still hopeful that someone cancels for whatever reason, because my family travelling with us is a huge dream we have had for a few years. I and respectfully add, that I did not find anyones answers in contention, just helpful. Fingers crossed still…
I think there were always going to be people who were going to opt out eventually, even without covid concerns. Tour spots were filling fast and there was no worry about losing money that early. Easy to say yes and then figure out later if everything would fall into place and make the trip a reality.
I think LIZinPA has a good point. A number of people evidently joined the waitlist for multiple tours, and other signed on even though they weren't sure they would even want to go. I've heard from several people (none of them on this thread yet) who have been offered spots on their waitlisted tours.
We cancelled our spots for an end of March tour as the new variant started in Europe, so it has been a few weeks ( we have even had our deposit refunded already) and that particular tour still shows waitlisted, so I assume that they worked their way down the list and somebody filled it. On the other hand when I looked the other day the same tour in February was on the schedule to sign up ( no waitlist or even the “ filling fast” notice.) I don’t remember if those particular days had previously been available and a lot of people cancelled or if this was a brand new dates situation.
Not happy right now. Got a notice of 2 spots opening up on our Best of Greece tour Oct 1-14, and one hr later, when trying to sign up, we got a “tour is full” notice. Now, we are on this tour and the wait list was for my brother and his wife. I had previously spoken to the RS peeps, and they assured me that my family members were “ at the top of the list”. Yet, within one hour of receiving the email, the tour was not available. I feel I was led to believe that they would be the first to be able to join the tour, but is 1 hour leeway enough to respond? I’m just bummed they missed out when we thought they may have a chance, Did I misread something here, I do have an email from RS Co. Indicating “ top of the list. Still got fingers crossed…
Got a notice of 2 spots opening up on our Best of Greece tour Oct 1-14, and one hr later, when trying to sign up, we got a “tour is full” notice.
Sorry to hear about that. Back in the pre-Covid days we were on a waitlist and the office told us if there were 4 months or more before the trip departed they'd ask people in waitlist order if they wanted the spots. Sooner than that they emailed everyone on the waitlist. Maybe the policies have changed since October is more than 4 months out.
Understandable you are not happy.
Have you called to ask for an explanation? I know it would be a struggle for me to 'be nice', but try to focus on "seeking a solution" rather than "laying blame".
Would one of the Sept tours that have openings work for you?
It is a wonderful tour!
the deal breaker was that if she ended up testing positive at the end of the trip, she would not make it back to work at the required time and this was not a situation that she felt would be acceptable. The stress of that possibility being out there meant that she would be experiencing that stress or doubt for the entire trip and it would take away a great deal of the enjoyment.
This is exactly why my husband and I cancelled our trip in September 2021 and then changed our minds again about going in May this year. Some people are able to put things out of their minds and I envy that. I'm a worrier though.
Well, the dates of Oct 1-14 were as SIL is a physician and therefore must set her dates as her practice will allow for time off, so unfortunately, we aren't flexible with dates. We also were under the impression that if you were on " the top of the list", you would get first shot at the openings. I have also called RS office, but get a recording of how they are busy, etc and will call back. I did email and have heard nothing either way. And yes, I am trying to stay positive regarding another shot at a spot for them on the tour.
joe— I should add as of today, I have neither had a reply via phone or email regarding the tour as mentioned in my post. I have done both, So trying to turn this to a more positive experience is starting to go downhill fast…
I am hoping for the very best for you and your family. I suppose the lesson to all of the rest of us is to not hesitate if that "tour has openings" email comes through and respond immediately. Thank you for sharing your experience and I am still quite hopeful that something will work out between now and October for you.
If those are your only dates to travel as a group, you could travel with another tour operator. If you’re only interested in the Rick Steves’ tour, then you’re limited. I haven’t taken it but I’m sure it’s an awesome tour. But for four of you, a private tour might be less expensive and you can have your choice of dates and can all get to experience Greece together. I’ve used a private tour company for Greece and we had a blast.
Thanks Carol, fingers crossed. As stated previous, dates are set for the other family members. Also. Shockingly, lots of tours are fully booked. People want to travel!!