Please sign in to post.

VISA required for European travel starting in 2021

I've never had to get a visa in any of the countries I've visited in the past, will this have any effect on American's traveling or is just a simple procedure to fill out an form and pay a fee before you travel?

Posted by
8293 posts

Donald, refer to two other threads on this forum in the past two days, which cover the matter quite well.

Posted by
5256 posts

Donald, it'll be the same as what we have to currently do in order to visit the US. It's called an ESTA and is applied online, fill in your personal details, answer questions about criminal convictions, drugs etc and submit with a payment of $14 per person. It can take some time filling it out for an entire family but certainly preferable to visiting a US embassy. The European version will be similar but free for under 18's and I believe valid for 3 years as opposed to the 2 year validity for an ESTA.

Personally I'm disappointed that the US never relaxed the ESTA requirement for those citizens from countries that don't request anything from US visitors other than a valid passport.

Posted by
15800 posts

Norma, I know where one of those threads is (under General Europe and has veered off topic) but can't seem to find the other one now. ????

I wish they'd quite calling this a visa. As JC said, it's similar to ESTA.

Posted by
2701 posts

I deleted the second thread (mine) as it was redundant.

Posted by
8293 posts

Stand by for more posts asking for details on the same subject.

Posted by
7025 posts

I blame two things for the redundancy of these posts: 1. the poor quality of the search feature on this forum, and 2. the fact that posters don't even bother to search for prior posts on the same subject before they post.

Posted by
15800 posts

I deleted the second thread (mine) as it was redundant.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks, Alan.
Norma, lots of standing by already for "What will Brexit do to my trip" questions, eh? C'mon, UK RS'ers, where are your crystal balls??!!! πŸ™„

Posted by
8293 posts

I wish we could forward all the plaintive queries about Brexit to the ever-charming Theresa May.

Posted by
15800 posts

I've seen similar confusion from some first-timers to the U.S. who think ESTA is a visa.
This oughta be fun.

Posted by
2916 posts

I wish we could forward all the plaintive queries about Brexit to the ever-charming Theresa May.

Her answers would probably be about as good as anyone's.

Posted by
759 posts

Dorothy,

Thank you for posting relevant and on topic information!

2021 is going to be a most interesting year for international travel.

Travel safe,

One Fast Bob

Posted by
14948 posts

The website posted above by the first time poster is not the official ETIAS website. The official one is

http://www.etias.com

Currently you will only need an ETIAS for Schengen countries and not all EU countries. (Although that may come later.)

Posted by
15579 posts

Without trying to be political . . .

Please do not blame Ms. May. It was David Cameron who called for the referendum, thinking (i guess) that it would be voted down and end the discussions. Well, guess what . . . May just tried to deal with the mess he created.

Now to being political - what the Dems will have to do post-trump. . . . deal with the . . . .