Please sign in to post.

Village Italy 2024 Before and After

I’m taking Village Italy Sept. 2024, flying from ATL to IAD (most likely) and onto VCE. I have a lot of Reward miles and hoping to use for Biz class if possible.🤞Best to stay two nights before tour in Venice or Padua? I’m thinking to reserve the same hotel RS tour starts with and do day trips to Venice rather than Padua as the tour will include. What’s best way to spend a few days before the tour starts?

Post trip, I’m hoping to go from end of tour (Milan) to Murren or Wengen Switzerland area. For those of you who have done this, what are some things you’d recommend along with transportation to Murren (or another quaint village). I’ve stayed in Gimmelwald a few times and loved it. I’m traveling solo and want to stay in one location 4 nights prior to flying home.

Thank you all for your replies !

Posted by
2454 posts

I’d vote for staying in Venice - getting to be there in early morning and in the evening is really special.

Posted by
4759 posts

Milan to Varenna, Lake Como , and relax in the peaceful scenery-
Varenna to Tirano, to catch the Bernini Express , regional train route-
Tirano ( Bernini Express route) to Pontressina, Switzerland -
Pontressina to Murren.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
13966 posts

I stayed in Venice for 2 or 3 nights before the tour start but when I got to Padua I was sorry not to have given it an extra night or 2. There was a lot to see there that the tour didn’t cover.

I think buying train tickets now is much easier than when I went (2014) because you can do everything within an app.

I flew home from Milan so no info on getting to Mürren.

Posted by
2743 posts

I’m taking the same tour starting Sept 2. Because I love Venice, I am staying there for 5 nights pre-tour. Moving to Padua early morning the day the tour starts.
The day the tour ends at Orta, I going to Florence for 4 nights. Trip ends in Rome for 5 nights.

Posted by
83 posts

I was on the Village Italy tour last June and spent two additional nights before the tour in Padua in the same hotel. I was glad I did because there is so much to see and do in this lovely city. However, I had already been to Venice just nine months earlier. I think if you do start in Venice, and have never been there, it would be ideal to give it more than two nights. I was there in September and it was incredibly busy (and hot!); exploring early in the morning made all the difference.

The Village Italy tour was wonderful, made even more so by our guide, Cristina. I hope you enjoy yours!

Posted by
11169 posts

I would never pass up the chance to spend a night or more in Venice.

Posted by
236 posts

It’s been a while since we did this tour. We stayed in Padua and enjoyed it. We took a train from Padua to Venice one day. Timing was great and we got the front seat on the Vaporetto so did a cruise to the end then back to St Marks (I think) then got lost finding the vaporetto to Murano (of course—it’s Venice). We then went to Burano—beautiful and back to Venice for dinner before the train back to Padua. We had been to Venice before, so our goal was to see Murano and Burano.
From Milan you can take a train to Spietz (?spelling) then to Lauterbrunen and gondola to Murren. Last spring the train from the funicular to Murren was not working but should be by next fall—easier from the train station in Lauterbrunen. However, the idea of going to Varenna to Switzerland using the Bernini Express sounds fabulous.

Posted by
16 posts

In my opinion, Wengen is a better village to stay than Murren. Easy hop on the train up to Kleine-Scheidegg area and also down to Lauderbrunnen area. In addition, nice little restaurants and bars there. We stayed at the Hotel Regina Wengen with the Rick Steve's Alpine tour last June, and it was very nice. I cannot wait to go back! Enjoy your trip wherever you stay.
Regards,
Sandy

Posted by
4859 posts

Rather than do day trips to Venice (which you obviously want to see) why not just stay in Venice? Doing day trips from Padau will use up a good bit of time just getting there and back. Staying in Venice (depending on arrival and departure times), will give you one full day and parts of two others. On the other hand, going straight to Padau and not going to Venice will give you "more" time there since you will not lose transit time doing a day trip. But, the tour will cover many (but not all) the things to see and do in Padau. My opinion is to spend all your extra time before the tour in Venice.

Posted by
7307 posts

We’ve stayed four nights in Padova, and I would give your two extra nights to Venice vs. being in Padova four nights.

We have taken the train from Wengen, Switzerland to Stresa, Italy. We love both of those locations. Since you’re coming from Milan and will be recently staying at Lake Orta, I would just head directly up to the Lauterbrunnen area.

Have a great time!

Posted by
674 posts

For those who spent extra time in Padua pre tour, what did you do and what did you enjoy the most? Also if anyone has been there recently and has restaurant recommendations, that would be great. We’ll be there in the spring and will have one and a half full days pre tour (we’ll be spending 5 nights in Rome and then taking the train to Padua). Thanks!

Posted by
90 posts

Our 2017 Villages tour had us stay 3 night before the tour in Padua at the RS hotel which was a great place. We took a day trip to Verona, one day, visited the botanical gardens, and went to a huge flea market one Saturday. We ended in Lake Orto where we shared a taxi to Milan then a train to Venice for 3 nights in an Airbnb. I liked Venice and our night on St, Marks square having a Spritz while the bands around the plaza played is one of my fondest memories. If choosing between Venice and Padua, I would choose Padua. But that is my personal choice. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Posted by
27156 posts

September is a busy time in Venice. The Art Biennale should still be running, and for the last two years there's been Glass Week in the second half of the month. I think there's a regatta at some point as well.

Although I'd choose Venice over Padua, I like Padua a lot. These are the sightseeing options I laid out before my most recent trip to Padua (3 nights in September 2022):

Scrovegni Chapel: Buy ticket a few days ahead. There's a combo ticket including Musei Civici agli Eremitani and Palazzo Zuckermann.

Palazzo Zuckemann: Applied and decorative art 16C-17C, including ceramics, plus impressionist paintings.

Musei Civici agli Eremitani: Former monastery with excellent 13C-18C Venetian art and archaeological collection (including Egyptian); no English text for archeological material. Cloister gardens with ancient archaeological fragments and modern sculptures.

Chiesa degli Eremitani: Built 1276-1306; magnificent roof, wall tombs and 15C Mantegna frescoes (substantially damaged during WWII Allied bombing).

Museo del Risorgimento, upstairs at Caffe Pedrocchi (Galleria Pedrocchi 11), Via Cavour/Piazzetta Cappellato Pedrocchi: Propaganda posters and interesting 30-min film. Covers period 1797-1848. English-accessible. I haven't been here and am not sure it's still open.

Palazzo Bo’, Via VIII Febbraio 7: 16C Renaissance palazzo, now part of university. Two beautiful old courtyards (open; entered under “Gymnasium” inscription). Frescoed stairway off second courtyard. Interior, including anatomy theatre, accessible only with 45-min. tour (English usually around midday Mon-Sat). I haven't taken the tour.

Palazzo della Ragione, Piazza delle Erbe: Early 13C Gothic with frescoed (15C. after fire) Great Hall. Sometimes used for art exhibitions. Large Indoor market ground floor with produce, bread, cheese, prepared foods.

Jewish Quarter, opposite Palazzo della Ragione (Piazza delle Erbe side): Charming area of arcaded lanes. Via dell’Arco, Via delle Piazze and Via San Martino e Solerino.

Museo Diocesano, Palazzo Vescovile.

Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta (Duomo), Piazza del Duomo: Main points of interest are Vangi’s contemporary crucifix and sculptures. RS says skippable.

Battistero di San Giovanni Battista, Pza del Duomo: 13C Romanesque; Byzantine-influenced Menabuoi frescoes.

Palazzo del Capitanio: Astronomical clock. On Piazza dei Signori (15C-16C buildings). Morning clothing market.

MUSME (Museo di Storia della Medicina): Padua’s contribution to world medicine 16C-19C. I haven't been here.

Statue of Gattamelata, Piazza del Santo (outside Basilica): Great Renaissance work by Donatello.

Basilica di Sant’Antonio (Il Santo): Beautiful Capella delle Reliquie/Capella del Santo (1245-1430). Nine fine marble reliefs (Donatello?) near tomb. Three cloisters. Many pilgrims. Many masses. Church itself is free.

• Basilica Complex includes multiple buildings with entry fees: Oratorio di San Giorgio, Scoletta (Scuola) del Santo (has some Titians), Museo Antoniano (works by Mantegna, Tiepolo and Carpaccio), Museo della Devozione Popolare (votives and folk art).

Botanical garden.

Posted by
7307 posts

The Venice Regatta is the first Sunday in September. They bring out the old festive boat from each neighborhood that have large carvings on them and brightly colored - great for photography! The neighborhoods race each other in several categories, too.