Please sign in to post.

Venice, Florence & Rome

My wife and I took our second Rick Steves' tour this past October 18-30. We added one day to the beginning and one day at the end of our trip.
The weather was perfect and we had a great time. My wife does not like cold weather and I don't like it to hot so that is why we chose October and we were pleasantly surprised. It was a great tour and our guides were fantastic. We highly recommend it. Be sure to take the water taxi from the Venice airport to your hotel, it was a lot of fun.

Posted by
187 posts

We were on the 10/16-10/25 VFR Tour! We spent an extra night in Venice, pre-tour, and 2 extra nights in Rome, post-tour. It was such a great introduction to the art, architecture, history, cuisine, and culture of 3 of Italy's iconic cities. I was so impressed by the uniqueness of Venice; we're already planning a return trip! I was also impressed by the walkability of all 3 cities (yes, even Rome).

Posted by
406 posts

Thanks for sharing. I loved that tour back when I took it about 10 years ago. Venice is magical isn’t it? How were the crowds for your time touring? October used to be shoulder season but seems to be more traveled now.

Posted by
2735 posts

Williamgfleming, thank you for posting your great experience. I have not done this tour but have gone on three other RS tours plus independent travel to Venice and Rome. I’m going to Florence for the first time this year. What did you like best?

It’s sad that posters impolitely chose to hijack your thread.

Posted by
15 posts

In thinking back to our visit to Florence with RS group what I remember most was our cooking class and meal, which we all enjoyed, and one particular guide. His name escapes me but he was an older gentleman that was very good. We loved watching and listening to him as we walked the streets of Florence. He was so passionate, very enthusiastic and entertaining. All our tour guides were great but he was our favorite. Just walking around Florence and hearing the history from our guides was so interesting and of course, seeing the statue of David was probably the most memorable.

Posted by
15 posts

Happy New Year!! In April we are taking a Viking cruise. We fly to Zurich and take a river boat from Basil to Amsterdam with two added in the beginning and end. I would like to plan a trip in the fall to visit Greece. I know this is a Rick Steves tour forum but I am trying to decide between a Rick Steves tour and a Viking Ship tour. Has anybody done both? I did have one person that suggested earlier to add some extra days to the RS tour to visit the island. The said that was something missing from RS tour. However, the RS tour is 14 days and my wife does not want to go longer that 24 days. Any ideas?

Posted by
2344 posts

williamhfleming re: your latest question, you should start a new thread in the Rick Steves Tours topic asking the question about the Greece tour. Some folks might not catch you have a new question under the topic of VFR. (I don't have any input on Greece, sorry!)

Posted by
930 posts

I've removed an off-topic discussion in this thread. This is a reminder that you should start your own topic if you want to take the discussion down a different path. You are welcome to discuss it in a new thread that doesn't take away from the OP's intended topic. Thank you!

Posted by
1 posts

I'm on this tour Feb 16-28. Why was the water taxi so great? Better than the public transportation boats? It's quite a bit more expensive.
We're going a day early and haven't booked anything so far in Venice. Can you recommend anything that isn't on the itinerary in Venice? Thanks!