Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

Hi! I'm leaving on a Rick Steves Tour in a few days and I was wondering how to go about purchasing travel insurance. Has anyone purchased any for themselves? If so, any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

First of all I can’t say enough good things about Allianz Travel Insurance. They reimbursed us the entire amount of money we paid for our plan when COVID hit in 2020. Also they reimbursed us for our hotel room in London 2022 because we arrived a day late. The process was easy. Everything was done online and we had our refund with in 3 weeks for the hotel room. The COVID 2020 reimbursement took longer because nobody really knew what was going on at that time.

As far as signing up you just go online. From there you can figure out what policy you want and how much insurance coverage that you need.

Posted by
6487 posts

Insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com are good ways to shop for policies. Here's our host's advice from this website, in case you haven't seen it. Travel insurance is usually a good idea, especially when Covid raises all our risks. It's not to late to get a policy ahead of your trip. Note that RS will refund any unused part of your tour payment if you test positive for Covid just before or during the tour.

I have to say that my travel delay claim with AIG Travelguard has not been resolved after two months, despite their advertised 15-business-day turnaround. I've insured with this company before and not had a bad experience, but of course the real test is what happens when you have a loss and claim. So I can't recommend this company.

Posted by
930 posts

this is discussed at least once a week, so do a SEARCH for this in the search bar.

We use USAA, but if you don't have access to USAA - I'd go with Allianz. If you're a AAA member, go to an AAA office and they have a good discount. Be sure and get a good international plan that includes Medical Evacuation.

Posted by
2715 posts

Thanks btrowbridge9323 for the Allianz report. I bought their Alltrips Premier travel insurance a last month to cover this year's trip and next year's. I'm so glad to hear about your good experiences. Their Covid rider is very straight forward, which was one of my deciding factors. Like all insurance I hope I don't need it, but it's there if I do (along with Medjet evacuation).

Dick, I still hold a grudge against AIG Travelguard from a unique claim they denied and denied again in 2017. I'll never deal with them again.

Posted by
8342 posts

@horsewoofie. None of us that saw the ordeal you went through with that corrupt travel provider will begrudge you the right to retain some hard feelings that your trip insurance did not pay out.

Posted by
11131 posts

Three large claims with Travel Guard, all claims paid in full within a month.

Posted by
1259 posts

Do you have AAA? USAA? Belong to other types of clubs or organizations that offer insurance packages like AARP? Who has your household insurance? Call them, can't hurt. Also call the RS office and review their suggestions here on the site. (Did someone already mention that?)

Tp everyone else reading this thread, you really want to do your research for travel insurance a couple of months out. Personally, I let my travel agent suggest the packages. She's working only with companies she trusts and who have treated her and all of her company's clients well.

Posted by
6 posts

Not really a reply but a different question about travel insurance. Just purchased travel insurance with cancel for any reason on my deposit and single supplement from Travelex, will make flight arrangements closer to my April trip (Belgium and Holland). Travelex says I can add flight information once purchased (for an increased premium of course). Can anyone explain to me why I would add coverage for flights if I purchase refundable flights? Am I missing something? Thanks for your time and happy traveling!

Posted by
3 posts

I had refundable flights and was advised by travel consultant that it was not necessary to buy travel insurance for flights.

Posted by
2715 posts

ssherman1154, you only buy travel insurance to cover non-refundable expenses. So no, you don't need to cover refundable flights.
Be sure your trip insurance covers evacuation and any additional medical you think you'll need. As you probably know Medicare does not cover anything out of the US. Some supplements do, but with a life time cap, usually $50,000.