Please sign in to post.

Travel companion

I enjoy independent travel. My husband passed away a few years ago and because I don't enjoy solo travel for more than a few days, I've been forced to take tours. Anyone know of a great way to find new copacetic travel companions? None of my friends fit the bill.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Posted by
174 posts

Have you looked at Idyll UNTOURS?
Not a group tour, but independent travel within a framework of backup.
They usually meet 1-2 x during your term, and provide a lot of backup info on regional events.
I used their services 4 times in the past. You can often meet other participants on train platforms, and spontaneously buddy up.
I now book, and travel solo as needed.
A trip can be RUINED with the wrong travel companion!

Posted by
117 posts

My husband does not like traveling so I have started traveling solo. I am thinking of the Rick Steves My Way tours sometime. I have not yet tried it though - so not a personal recommendation.

One thing I have done - meet up with local friends for a day or two over the course of the travels - which is a good amount of socialization without sacrificing personal space. Of course, this only works if you have friends in places you are visiting.

I wish you all the best with your future travels!

Posted by
5205 posts

I like to book 1/2 day or 1 day tours in a place I am visiting, as a pleasant way to have travel companions for the day, during a largely solo trip.

Posted by
761 posts

We've been on 3 RS tours and there are always solo travelers. Everyone is welcoming. I've noticed with solo female travelers on the tour, they also tend to connect with ladies who perhaps are traveling with another lady, such as a sister or friend. This most recent tour, was a nice combination of both. I think the nice thing about the RS tour is you can pay for a single room or get paired with another single traveler. And you can do your own thing as you wish or join others in your free time, which usually naturally happens. Frankly that sounds less risky than trying to find one person to travel with; since you mention your friends don't fit the bill and you don't enjoy solo travel.

Posted by
92 posts

As said above, Rick Steves tours have the option to be partnered (room wise) with fellow solo travelers. There’s also a Travel Partners section (scroll down) on this forum site. I believe other tour companies such as Road Scholars also will roommate match. If there’s a travel group (Rick steves or otherwise, such as your local senior center?) you could try meeting people there? Best of luck, and don’t be afraid to try solo travel yourself, maybe starting within the framework of an organized tour like those suggested on your other post!

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks Everyone for your suggestions. I appreciate all the feedback.