Please sign in to post.

Travel Claim Unpaid After Rick Steves Tour July 2022

I purchased trip insurance that was recommended by Rick Steves website but wanted to ask if anyone knows how to get a travel claim resolved , it's been almost 5 months ago that it was submitted. I have uploaded all the information to support the claim.

I've been getting this same response from AIG for months

"We are reaching out with respect to the claim you have filed referenced above. Our objective is to promptly inform you of our decision with respect to your claim; however, we need additional time to complete our claim review. You are a valued customer, and we are working diligently to address your request."

Posted by
11179 posts

Your state's Insurance Commissioner office is where I would lodge a complaint about delayed handling.

Posted by
8375 posts

This must be very frustrating for you. What costs were you claiming? I know RS tours refunds promptly, so I assume this is for some other expenses?

There are some threads over the past year of people both successfully claiming as well as struggling with the claims process. It might help to look through older threads.

One common ,theme among those who struggled was that they finally contacted the insurance commissioner for their state and notified the travel insurance company. This seemed to have moved the process a long for some of them.

Another issue was that some insurance companies required an “official” positive Covid test result for claims relating to Covid. An over the counter test did not meet the policy requirements.

I wish you the best of luck in resolving your claim.

Posted by
6502 posts

I had a long delay with AIG Travel Guard over the summer. Claim submitted in mid-June, got the same email you quoted several times, "customer service" line was no help, just repeating that there was a big backlog. The day after I filed a complaint with my state insurance commissioner, I got a call from AIG explaining that the adjuster was on maternity leave and the claim would be paid right away. Got the check in about a week. Another poster from another state had the same experience.

Contact your insurance commissioner's office. They will contact the company and break the logjam. If you and the company have a real difference of opinion about the merits of the claim, that's a different story, but from your post it sounds like they just haven't gotten around to you. RS should not be helping this company market its "services."

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you for all the great information. I don't have much time to spend on this so I'll make the call to my insurance commissioner tomorrow. This was a trip interruption claim from missed connection in London Heathrow. British Airlines counter customer service verbally stated they would cover the cost of a stay over in London when the connection was missed but when I filed a customer service complaint they refused to pay it. I've had poor experiences with British Airlines at Heathrow 3 times , so I will try now to avoid that airport.

Posted by
196 posts

I had a claim one time for lost luggage. I received a reimbursement check almost a year to the day from the time I submitted it. I had forgotten about it!

Posted by
991 posts

I submitted a claim in June for a lost purse (lost on a National Express bus going into London). I got a check for $150.00 about a month ago. BTW, good luck with British Airways, They lost my luggage back in 2018 for an entire trip and I got zero from them. I did have Travelguard insurance and they came through for us very quickly. I think claims are just taking a lot longer post-covid. Hang in there and good luck.

Posted by
3695 posts

"I've had poor experiences with British Airlines at Heathrow 3 times , so I will try now to avoid that airport."

It's not the airport. It's British Airways.

Posted by
7 posts

I feel your frustration. We filled our claim on September 1 and the "under review" comment just changed to "closed" and we received an email saying we'd would receive a check in a few days (hopefully! ) there's a number or email you could use to call and leave a message. It was a long wait but I'm very pleased with how it all ended. Good luck. Hope your claim is settled soon.

Posted by
170 posts

We waited about 2 months for AIG to pay a claim for a COVID-related trip interruption that occurred in October. I made a couple of calls and got a couple of the same messages that you did while we waited. The check came in the mail eventually.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you for the responses . I finally received a check about 2 weeks ago

Posted by
27 posts

Hello,
I have booked a 21 day Tour in May. First time to Europe. I know I need a medical plan since not covered international w my plan in the US. 63. No pre existing conditions. My Chase credit card seems to have good coverage. Just wondering how much more insurance to cover? Was quoted 90-104$ for medical only and 480-580$ total trip. Also inquired about a yearly plan w Allianz and would not include trip cancellation. I have'nt really looked at all the plans. Looks like RS"s reimburses for covid for unused days. I am planning 3 nights befor and 2 after. Airfare w points plus 322$ Thank you! Tammy

Posted by
27111 posts

There are two websites often mentioned for researching travel insurance: insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com. The first step is to figure out what types of expenses you want to have covered. There are policies that cover a variety of costs, but there are also some that focus on one category. GeoBlue, for example, offers medical insurance. Medjet offers evacuation insurance; evacuation can cost over $100,000.

Policies often must be purchased within X days of making the first payment on a trip if you want to have pre-existing conditions covered.

Posted by
8375 posts

@ Tammy, I would encourage you to start a new thread with your new question. Just cut and paste what you put on this thread and begin a new one. You will find more people responding to your question then.

I use the travel insurance that comes with my Chase Sapphire Reserve, I'm covered through Medicare Advantage, and then I buy a Medjet policy. Geo Blue is highly recommended. If you had medical, would you really need an additional coverage beyond your Credit card coverage?