Please sign in to post.

Transportation from Naples to Sorrento & Pompeii & Vesuvius info.

Hi,

I would like to know the best way to get from Naples to Sorrento? There will be 2 of us with backpacks & 1 large bag each.

We would also like to know is it a shorter distance to visit to visit Pompeii, Herculaneum & Mt. Vesuvius from Naples or Sorrento?

Additionally, which one(s) can you see comfortable in a day?

Finally, is Vesuvius a really hard climb or medium?

Thanks a lot,
Suzanne

Posted by
23267 posts

First, why so much luggage? Best way to Sorrento from Naples is via the Circumvesuvianna. Vesuvius is a medium climb. Personally it is just a big, smoke hole in the ground and falls under, "Yep, done that, saw that." I think Pompeii is closer to Naples by about 30 minutes or so. But will not swear to it. The others are further from Sorrento You could easily spend most of a day at Pompeii -- it is vast. Most others see it pretty well in the four hour range. Mt. Vesuvius, other than getting to and from it, is a walk up, look over the edge and go home. There is absolutely nothing there. Herculaneum is much smaller and a couple of hours will cover it.

PS You really should post further question in the proper section to get better responses.

Posted by
41 posts

Thank you. Your answer was VERY helpful & certainly to the point. I appreciate that..
Luggage is because we're don't know the weather in October & never been to Italy. It's just the way we travel overseas.

Also, what is the proper place to place this request for info. under?

Additionally, If the boats are running in September & October, would that be better because of our luggage? On this train, is there a place to put a large bag?

Thanks again.

Posted by
23267 posts

Many travelers can get by with just a carry-on size bag regardless of location and weather. You will find train travel a lot easier if have only one carry-on and perhaps a shoulder bag.

You might take a look at the site structure. Most questions concerning travel are placed under the Q & A section and in the specific country. Just read the short description for each section. For example -------

Destination Q&A
Get help planning your trip. Ask a question or share advice.

The boats are seasonal and will probably stop in October. Still have to get all the luggage to the boat and to your hotel. The Circum...... is commuter train with open seating. Put your bags where ever it is convenient but not on another seat. There is no special place for luggage.

How are you getting to Naples?

Posted by
381 posts

Suzanne.....regardless of how you pack and how many bags you have (your business, not mine!!!) we had a car service pick us up at the Naples train station and drive us to Positano. The car service was: Amalfi Car Service and our driver was Claudio. Since we were going to be in Positano we then arranged for a tour from Positano to take us to Vesuvius. The tour included van transportation and a guide. We picked up their pamphlet in the visitor's center in Positano. We used the ferries in September during our stay. I hope this helps! I am sure this car service can customize your transportation needs. They were very prompt and courteous and always a phone call away if needed.

Posted by
11176 posts

For all practical purposes, Pompeii Archeological Park is midway between Naples and Sorrento.

Posted by
967 posts

Hi Suzanne, no matter what kind of luggage you bring (I have no dog in THAT fight) be prepared for NOWHERE to put in on the miserable Circ train. We took it once, with roll-aboards and small backpacks, and the only solution I could see was to ride standing in the end of the car, backpacks to the wall and a firm grip on our carry-ons in front of us. The overhead racks are about a foot wide, and you need to leave the aisles free for the musicians and pan-handlers to get through.

Since that one experience I've defaulted to a driver, door-to-door. Probably any hotel can arrange one. On a good weather day the ferry might be a pleasant option, but I don't know the logistics.

Posted by
15582 posts

My answer would depend on how and when you are arriving in Naples - at the airport after a long-haul flight, by train after a stay in Rome, if it's early morning or late afternoon . . . .

Are you asking where to base, Naples or Sorrento?

A guide book will give you info on climbing Vesuvius. Try googling too. I decided it wasn't worth it.

Posted by
11156 posts

There is a dedicated bus that goes from Naples airport to Sorrento.

Posted by
41 posts

We want our base to be in Sorrento. Anybody know anything about the dedicated bus to Sorrento from the airport? (We are flying into Naples from the U.S. And for the person who told me about the horrors of taking baggage on the Circumvesuviana train. Thank you. That is what I suspected. Rick Steves said a taxi will cost 100 euro. Someone said they had to pay 200 euro. That is way too much for me. Would a private driver be better? Or can you take this Alibus shuttle to the dock from where the ferry or hydrofoils leave, assuming they leave in October, as we don't know when we can go September or October? I really want to thank anybody who took the time or does take the time to answer.

Posted by
967 posts

Ask your hotel about arranging a private driver. I have never paid more than 100 euro.

Posted by
2 posts

We flew to Rome, then took the train to Naples, then a ferry to Sorrento. A few words to the wise. There are 2 principal trains systems in Italy, leaving and arriving at the same stations. BE SURE TO GET ON THE TRAINLINE YOU BOUGHT THE TIX FOR!! Tired from the flight from the US, we made that mistake = $110/ each!! The concierges in the Rome station are not helpful. The train station in Naples is a ----hole. The Circumvesuvianna is at the same station, but the ferry dock is a good mile walk with all of your luggage, so if you chose to take the ferry, take a cab from the train station to the ferry terminal. The view of the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius is great from the ferry. Sorrento is wonderful!!