Please sign in to post.

Security?

Curious, how secure are hotel rooms, can we leave back up currency or credit cards tucked away or should we carry all valuables . It seems more of a risk to carry extra cash etc but just not sure. Hotel room safes seems a false security so other than the dirty sock hiding place just curious what folks recomend. ( Doing Heart of France Tour)
Thanks

Posted by
1803 posts

I have left iPads, extra cash, credit cards, camera when I traveled with them in the room. Never a problem in over a dozen tours. Enjoy the tour.

Posted by
7283 posts

I also leave my iPad in my unlocked suitcase in my hotel room. I do sit my suitcase near the window side of the room vs. close to the door, just in case someone was walking by the room being cleaned with an open door, and it provided an opportunity for someone walking by to grab it. It wouldn’t be a huge deal monetarily- just a huge inconvenience.

Money, ATM cards, credit cards & passport are always in my money belt which is underneath my clothing.

Posted by
1589 posts

I have been traveling since 1962 and have always left valuables and my passport in my room and have had zero problems. I only wear my money belt when I am moving between hotels/B&Bs. This is in the USA and overseas.

Posted by
531 posts

Beyond my phone and Fitbit watch that I keep with me, I don't bring electronics or jewelry on my tours. The most valuable things I have are my various forms of ID and payment and I keep those with me (neck wallet or money belt).

Posted by
23268 posts

I am the opposite and it works for us. Everything of value is on me generally in a properly worn money belt. I do bury the ipad in a locked suitcase because it is too bulky. I am never without my passport, money, and credit cards. Same for the wife.

Posted by
2130 posts

What Frank said. It’s not a big deal to wear a money belt containing my passport & credit cards.

Posted by
847 posts

I don't leave anything of value in the room, except for Rx I need. I use the room safe for storing Rx and important travel documents when I am out for the day. I carry everything else (credit cards, cash, passport, on my person, in a neck wallet worn under my shirt, and carry my iPhone in a front pocket. I no longer travel with an iPad or laptop, I use my iPhone for all my tech/browsing needs.

Posted by
4833 posts

Everything of value is on me generally in a properly worn money belt...I am never without my passport, money, and credit cards.

Same here. As someone once stated (and it may have been Frank), "...with credit cards and passports we can handle anything that arises."

Posted by
3207 posts

I keep a third CC and a second debit card buried deep in my suitcase. If I have an iPad with me, it varies whether I leave it in my suitcase or carry it. I always have my passport, other CCs, debit card, and most cash so I can turn on a dime and not return to my hotel ever if necessary. Like Jean, I also keep my suitcase on the opposite side of the room from the door.

I would consider Rick Steves tour hotels to be even safer than my usual because they want his repeat business.

Posted by
27116 posts

I carry my passport, phone, one credit card and a small amount of walking around money in my purse. I usually have an ATM card with me only if I plan to use it that day. I lock my extra credit cards, both ATM cards, any excess cash and my tablet inside my suitcase.

I use a money belt on days when I'm changing hotels.

The only hotel-room theft I've experienced occurred in the US, when my room door wasn't closed properly; it was a self-closing door but so heavy that it didn't close all the way. In the middle of the night, someone walking by noticed it, entered my room while I was asleep and took my those. The sound of the door closing woke me up.

I think an opportunistic theft like that is much more likely than that someone will break into a random locked hotel room. If you set out to burgle hotel rooms, wouldn't you target 5-star hotels? I don't stay in those.

Posted by
213 posts

I wouldn’t expect RS Tour hotels to be any more or less secure than any other hotel of a similar ilk. Where are you normally comfortable with storing your valuables in a hotel? Being on a tour wouldn’t give your room extra security or extra vulnerability, in my opinion.

Posted by
304 posts

I normally leave passport, any extra cash and additional credit cards in the hotel roomsafe, or if no safe, then in my suitcase. If I'm traveling for work, I would usually put my laptop in my suitcase as well. In decades of traveling, I've never had anything stolen from the room. Obviously, do what you're comfortable with.

Posted by
13937 posts

"I would consider Rick Steves tour hotels to be even safer than my usual because they want his repeat business."

I actually had a long-time RS guide tell me he never worried about the tour hotels as they do want the repeat business and knew that any whiff of a problem and they'd be off the list and out repeat business.

Extra cash is not so much of a problem now as I'm using almost no cash on a day to day basis in my travels. I do everything I can with ApplePay.

I carry my passport with me usually in a secure pocket in my purse. On my recent trip to Orkney and Shetland I did not carry it with me as both hotels we stayed in felt very secure. In one hotel our group had all the rooms so I didn't even lock my door during the day when we were out.

Posted by
110 posts

I only like to take what I need while sightseeing during the day. Therefore I keep my extra money , cards, and passport in the hotel safe. I know it’s always possible for the safe to be broken into, but that has not happened to me.

Several hotels on tour didn’t have a safe and I just hid a few things in my suitcase, but I feel better using a safe even if it’s a false sense of security.

Posted by
23268 posts

I would not trust a hotel safe for anything. About a year ago we were traveling in the US and stayed in a major hotel. It was obvious the hotel was remodeling since whole floors were closed off. Our room had that "new car smell" of new carpet and paint. And in the closet was a brand new room safe was a sticker note across the top that said, X is the master code. It was correct. That code would open the safe even after putting in my code. I made a note of the safe manufacturer and the code. In July was in the same hotel brand, with the same brand of room safe, and the master code worked perfectly. My guess is you could probably find the master code for all the safes on the web.

Posted by
7283 posts

Frank, yes, look up “how to open a hotel room safe” on YouTube. We’ve never left anything in the hotel room safes after seeing how easy they are to open.